KID SHIRT

Saturday, December 18, 2010

200 YEARS OLD

Tbh, I wasn't planning on posting here any more - the blog felt like it had come to a logical end-point - along with a handful of other things in my life - how fickle am I to renege on a self-made 4am promise?...but, well, I couldn't not comment on Don van Vliet's passing.

Actually, I heard "Lick My Decals Off, Baby" before...before the, uh, the other one. I was in my mid-teens and...well, if I'm honest, hearing it really didn't change my life or nuffink - I'd be a liar if I said that it did - I think I was already well-and-truly doomed by that point. Hearing Beefheart just sort of, well, confirmed what I already suspected about...things. It was like someone sort of slapped me on the shoulder, really hard, and sent me staggering down the garden path slightly faster than I intended.

I was exactly, totally, absolutely...ready for it, y'know?

After that I could look certain people who were older than me - people like Rob Bacon - I could look them in the eye. I was in on the joke, I thought I knew what's-what (I didn't, of course; still don't...but...). They'd smile and nod slightly if they caught you checking out "Safe As Milk" in the rack. They wouldn't take the piss out of you.

Liking Beefheart or Nico or whatever in a small provincial town in the Mid-Seventies was, like...well, it wasn't like Punk; there was no gang - no mates to back you up - it was just one or two Others... then slowly, you meet another Other, then another...a couple mates get into it too and become Others...blahblahblah...

I'm still meeting Others.

I still define people by whether they're an Other, or not. I know I shouldn't, but that's engramm'd into me now...

Beefheart was a calling-card, a gentle nudge-down-the-garden-path, a nod-and-a-wink...

BY HIM WE SHALL RECOGNISE YOU.

WE SHALL KNOW YOU.

The music was pretty fucking good too.

Why, when Kid Kid Shirt was kneehigh to a grasshopper, I...I was pretty ill round that time, but when I was well enough I used to bottle-feed her in the early evening and sometimes I used to sing-talk this song to her:

Said the momma t’ the baby in the corn
You are my first born
You shall here on in be known as The Spotlight Kid
‘n the mornin’ cry of the rooster
The baby lay alone
‘n the old cow in the green grass
Shed white tears in the red hot sun
‘n The Spotlight Kid stood under the moon that evenin’.

Nobody knows that 'cept you. Ssssshhh

My choice of song is not 'classic', canonical Beefheart, but it's my choice, my song, so humour me, huh? Actually, I always liked "Upon The My Oh My" for reasons that I'm not - ever, never - gonna share with you. Somethings will always remain mine. So, no, it's not that, but...



Thank You and Goodnight.

5 Comments:

At 7:52 pm, Blogger Jason Gusmann said...

it actually took me forever to get into beefheart because (pauses for effect) i didn't really like "trout mask". i know this is heresy, but i really got much more into beefheart when i heard "decals" and especially "Bat chain puller"...puller...puller. rip. the captain/ODB duets record should be released in heaven asap.

 
At 3:45 pm, Blogger Pete Um said...

I'm not really into this NO MORE KID SHIRT shit, to be honest. My reasoning is complicated, elaborate and extensive and I won't embarrass you with it here.

I think the fact that the word verfication is ROBOWBOR must count for something however.

 
At 11:01 am, Blogger Subtropic Frequencies said...

stop by for a visit and you've shut up shop. no more quirky tales from the land of yeovil. just a little upset :(

 
At 6:26 pm, Blogger Griya Mobil Kita said...

Nice article, thanks for the information. rental mobil

 
At 10:39 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?6pvhud1gm34i6ji

 

Post a Comment

<< Home