KID SHIRT

Saturday, October 23, 2010

"THAT PRECIOUS AUTO-ALCHEMY OF A MOMENT ALREADY GONE"

Tidying up various loose scraps of paper, I found something I'd scribbled down in a cafe months ago - notes for a blog-post that I'd long since lost / fogotten, so thought I'd type it up and finally post it, if only to throw the scrap of paper away. It ties in to a bunch of stuff I've been thinking about more and more, recently. I doubt I'll have the time to augment / extrapolate it tonight, but here's the raw notes:


Another instance of this today: a song I kinda know / knew, but was unable to fully identify: female vocalist singing (something like): "In New Yoooooooorrk..." over the hiss of Expresso machines and generic conversational hub-bub; too loud to be truly 'ambient', its detail mostly lost in a blur of coffeehaus chit-chat, k'chnnking cash-registers, latte-froth. Drums and bass barely present, just a solitary voice poking its head over the audio parapet, and then only for the chorus - the frequency response of the in-house speakers roughly equating to / being cancelled-out by all the mid-range flotsam swirling around me. A Cage-ian Moment; transfigured Environmental Pop.

I don't want to know what it is - what it was - I'm only interested in what I thought it was I heard. I rarely hear such...yearning - such a sense of a song wanting to be physically somewhere else (and succeeding in translocating itself) - in Prefabricated Music any more. Instead, I'm more likely to encounter it in The Realm of The Accidental.

The transposition of meaning - the suspension of Time and evaporation of Place - that precious Auto-Alchemy of a Moment Already Gone: that's all I really care about in music right now.

2 Comments:

At 10:14 pm, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Sometimes a voice will appear and 'speak' over all of the other noise - but it only makes sense with all the other noise that is there. A bit like when there was all that piano playing and you could hear the playground in the background. Does that make sense. It is like, 'Woah - that can't be right, but it is...' Perhaps New York wouldn't have sounded so good without the hub-bub. A moment where everything comes together.

Sending hugs to allxx

 
At 11:23 pm, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

Hey - Molly! Good to hear from ya.

I like it when the World remixes itself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home