KID SHIRT

Sunday, October 31, 2010

RIP BOBBY COLOMBO

Very sad to hear that Bobby Colombo has passed away.

Bobby - or Peter De Ceulaer as many folks knew him - was a mainstay at the wonderfully anarchic Radio Centraal in Antwerp - in fact I think he was ceo in recent years - but he was a lot more than that.

I think his friend Denis Tyfus described him best a couple years back: "He is a visual artist, a carnivore, a radiomaker and a musician, he made a bunch of film soundtracks, music for theatre plays, made music in the past with Sandy Neis of The Hybrids and does all the music and soundwork for a satirical radioshow at Radio Centraal with his wife and his brother called Colunst; he also plays in Space Cactus with Daniel Renders (aka Cassis cornuta) and with Ludwig van Hove in Bob & Lou. Again, these are people that never released anything on their own; they hardly played live but they have the best archive of weird music and satirical plays."

I interviewed Peter / Bobby over the phone a few years ago and he was just such a lovely guy to talk to. Really warm and friendly, enthusiastic and...well, inspirational.

He left me thinking: I want to be like him when I grow up.



If anyone who knew him well wants to leave any stories in my comments-box, then please - be my guest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home