KID SHIRT

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

BUCK OWENS: "TOGETHER AGAIN"

The awesome Buck Owens.



S'masterclass in narrative economy, innit? And what an awesome pedal-steel break.

I've been reading up (a bit) on pedal-steel tunings recently - for reasons I really don't wanna go into (mostly because they're...silly and kinda anal; annnnnd, I'm not even a musician *gak* but I'm fascinated by this kind of minutae...): I was kinda turned on to all this when I recently read a piece about Sneaky Pete Kleinow's choice of tuning / methodology in The Flying Burritos Bros. His tuning was the reason why he got that great spacey, almost Sun Ra-ish out-there sound. Also, he was the first guy to play a pedal-steel thru a fuzz-pedal.

He was an animator too, apparently - it was his day-job - which is why he kept himself relatively straight n dry compared w/ the rest of the band. A quick Google on the topic reveals the fact that he worked on episodes of The Muppet Babies. Just when you think the world can't get any weirder, huh?

2 Comments:

At 12:15 am, Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

Always thought Sneaky Pete's work on GILDED PALACE was the secret main influence on Mike Post's glorious ROCKFORD FILES theme tune.

I love this song, but the version that bothers my iPod the most is the Richard & Linda Thompson one.

 
At 7:32 pm, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

Gilded Palace is awesome...!

Sneaky Pete as (sneaky) influence on Mike Post: I like where you're going with this....

Richard & Linda Thompson cover: you know - and this is really weird - I've got a vague memory of John peel playing that back in the 70s...I think he played pretty much the whole of that LP when it came out - and even tho I wasn't much fussed by them (at the time) he kinda made you listen whether you wanted to or not....

Funny how that's bubbled back up in my mind. I love these cross-associations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home