KID SHIRT

Sunday, July 18, 2010

EAST-END PUB PIANOS ON PROG RECORDS (PART 1)

Off the top of me head, two instances of pub-piano manifestations on Prog records are, umm, "The Battle of Epping Forest" on Genesis' Selling England by the Pound (a now oddly-prescient title if ever there was one) and "Benny the Bouncer" from ELP's Brain Salad Surgery.

Both feature pub pianos, deal with gangland dust-ups and feature appalling fake Cockernee accents by Peter Gabriel and Greg Lake respectively.

The Genesis track, tho, is genuinely, well, peculiar. There's something 'off' about its construction that appeals to me now. Totally hated the LP when it came out. All my mates were into it, tho; it were a reet big record at our school. I think my old friend / classmate (and Peej Harvey producer) John Parish went to see them on that tour.

Oddly, both records came out in '73.

Other instances of pub pianos on Prog records gratefully received.

Bonus spotter-points if they were released in 1973.

2 Comments:

At 11:47 pm, Blogger dubversion said...

not prog as such, but the Dukes of The Stratosphere give good pub piano on Good Man Albert Brown, which is kinda victoriana psych pastiche, which in turn is surely proto-prog in some way?

 
At 9:02 am, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

That's a great record, innit? Weirdly, I was just thinking about that a few days ago - got a twelve of that sitting round here somewhere and a yen to give it a blasting!

I think they were parodying The Small Faces on that one, amongst other things!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home