KID SHIRT

Saturday, July 31, 2010

CHILLY GONZALES: "I AM EUROPE"

Chilly Gonzales, Chilly Gonzales.

Despite the 'modern' production values / sound pallette, there's something curiously old-fashioned about this; the way it's put together; the lyrical vibe. Reminds me of a handful of things, none of which I can particularly put a name to.



It won't change yr life, his music, but it makes me laugh.

He has a kinda scattershot, quasi-conceptual approach to building Pop records, which appeals to the part of me that likes 10cc. I like his vaguely Satie-ish piano pieces, tho the piano 'tone' on some of them kinda sucks. "Slow Down" is gloriously unashamably retro-kitschly lush - errrm, Steely Dan meets Christopher Cross - tho the attention to detail isn't quite there to that obsessive nth degree that I quite dig. That's gonna happen if you're a bit creatively restless, I suppose: the horizontal spread of ideas vs. vertical burrowing into needless detail. Cake vs. Eat It.

4 Comments:

At 8:13 pm, Blogger Pete Um said...

This is the kind of stupidity this shitty world owes us in 2010. Now I'm trying to work out what I mean by that...

 
At 8:31 pm, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

LOL

I normally rail against PoMo retro-referentiality in modern music...

apart from when it suits me. LOL

Cowsarejustfood said - by weird coincidence - he saw him play live this afternoon and he was a bit shit. Can't imagine this stuff would work live particularly without coming off all Scissor Sisters.

 
At 8:45 pm, Blogger Pete Um said...

Ah, you get me better than I get myself. Yes, something about the retro-referentiality having enough of a clue about what it's retro-referencing to not be a soul-crushing insult. Plus, the guy has just got a good face. A good face goes a long way.

 
At 10:06 pm, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

"Plus, the guy has just got a good face. A good face goes a long way."

Weird: I was kinda thinking something similar, earlier on...the way that certain people look can sometimes win me over, even tho I'm maybe not entirely down with what they're doing - somehow, the way they look *convinces* me...the fact that they look like that (and it's usually a totally Anti-Glam thing) makes me *trust* them a bit more in some way or I give them the benefit of doubt...

This is all tied up with images of Self, no doubt, and also neurology: facial recognition brainware kicking in and skewing my opinion - does that guy look sufficiently / 'authentically', I dunno, 'Bohemian' or something, in a way that I can relate to....everything's ironic / self-referential these days, so little things like that can add a 5% slant to my opinion....

I'm fickle like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home