KID SHIRT

Thursday, June 17, 2010

NON-LOCAL CONNECTIONS OF REMOTE OBJECTS

What's the blogging equivalent of Quantum Entanglement, I wonder?

A random thought generated by Nina passes thru KekSpace causing a sudden, unexpected change in Fritz's energetic writing.state!

Oh, allriiight...I know, I know: there's nothing even remotely quantum about the damn process - hyperbole's a habit w/ me - guess I'm just a lowly, slower'n light Classical Information Channel...

But - y'know what? - I love that whole blogadelic mexican-wave cum chain-letter thing where something ripples out and becomes something else. It's cool being a conduit.

Fritz sent me some chapbooks a while back - *proper* chapbooks done old school stylee - and they're really good...Fritz has nailed a particular variety of, I dunno, anecdotal quasi-travelogue type voice-thing where characters and incidents pile up on one another - and where the joy is in a good tale told well - but he's a sly old fox, is Fritz, and there's quite often a subtle layer of embedded morality half-hidden in the anecdotal-stream-o-postconsciousness, or a quiet lesson to be learned - a slight nudge or knock applied to his protagonists; the deftest of jolts or self-reappraisals - in amongst the beer-swiggin' campfire bullshittery...and it's that sudden understated moral undertow or twist that he applies at the end which adds a real shine to his work. I'm kinda envious of the ease at which his stories talk; the velocity n grace with which his narratives seem to bifurcate...but there's often that ahhhh, right aftertaste moment that stays w/ you when the words have skidded to a halt.



Despite the, uh, Holmesian titles, these tales have nothing to do with Doyle. My favourite of the three Fritz sent me is "The Paradol Chamber" and its eye-watering pepper-tasting trial...but its that last paragraph - with its bittersweet appraisal of a relationship/time long-passed - that really hits home, leaving a strange aftertaste of its own in the reader's mouth.

4 Comments:

At 11:31 pm, Blogger Fritz Bogott said...

Holy god. Thank you very kindly.

(We're up on Lake Superior with a satellite connection that throttles down every few hours for spite. Just took a rocket-stove-building class at North House. I'm stage-managing the Solstice panto tomorrow. (Christian pantos bah. Pagan pantos rah.) Been painting and rigging puppets and props for days. Daughter 1 (age 8) plays a plein-air painter. Daughter 2 (age 6) plays a stilt-walking moose 80CM off the ground.)

 
At 1:10 am, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

"a stilt-walking moose " - genius! Local School Fair for our kids tomorrow too, but just as punters, not as participants like your Lake S clan.

Just keep on doing what you do - you and Family Fritz !!

You should tweet or mail Dan Poeira (if you haven't already!) about his Startling Adventures Brazilian pulp mag - I think you'd do something amazing for that!

 
At 10:05 pm, Blogger Fritz Bogott said...

Thanks! Will do. I've got a good one about a Chinese pilot.

 
At 10:32 pm, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

Cool !

You can get hold of Dan on twitter @daniel_poeira - or I can let you have his email address....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home