KID SHIRT

Sunday, May 23, 2010




The Pop Group to reform.

Is nothing fucking sacred? I mean, Jeez....

I was lucky enough to see them 4 or 5 times back in the day in various 'official' configurations and a few times in assorted jam line-ups. They were never less than incredible.

So many acts are reforming these days that I wouldn't even comment on this if they hadn't been so utterly, heroically bang-on the number with everything. Plus they came from Bristol.

*sigh* I guess this was all oddly inevitable. I've seen Mark Stewart play solo in 80's / 90's / 00's with Tackhead and assorted significant others and - although he was mostly pretty good and even occasionally great (I've got a lot of respect for Mark, see) - there was a sense of slowly diminishing returns about these projects as you track their trajectory dn thru the decades. As if there was nowhere else to go apart from back to The Pop Group.

I think it's a shame that he thinks his options are limited to one of two things. The past's the past. Why bother repeating it? (Apart from the, uh, obvious)

If this is the piss-poor Throbbing Gristle style reformation disaster I suspect it will be, then I won't hesitate in - as Jay Densman says - "tearing him a new one."

Don't let me...don't let us down, Mark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home