KID SHIRT

Friday, March 26, 2010

There's a brief mention and - *eeeeeek* - a photo of Junkcrunch in this week's Western Gazette, which - as any ex-pat Yeovillian will tell ya - is the ultimate aspirational accolade for anyone who plays music round here lol.

I'll spare you the horror - and me, the embarrassment - of reproducing the pic. People have been stopping me in the street - in Yeovil, there is only one street! - and asking: "Was that you in the paper yesterday or some weird-looking woman-thing?" I have had to kill at least three people today. One guy started the sentence with: "No disrepect, but..."

The Farmer sent me an email that just said "Beatnik Hippies!" - which kinda sums it up better than I ever could. I look like a fucking member of the original line-up of Gong, which - come to think of it - is a counter-intuitively correct look to rock right now in this stage of my life. However, if I could get a decent pair of enormous cream-coloured Oxford Bags and a pair of wooden-heeled clogs right now, then I'd happily shear off my hair and move into the next phase of my 'career' as a Local Pest.

The last time I appeared in the Guts Ache - as we fondly call it - was here. The, um, synthband I was in, back in the late 80's - Kickstate - also ended up in the WG Ents Section on a couple of occasions...so, really, this now makes me something of an overachiever. There's nothing for it now but to retire disgracefully and/or kill myself. I've achieved my life's ambitions and - like Buzz Aldren - everything else in my life will be a pitiful anti-climax, ending in a spectacular downwards arc into some twilight, gin-fried Hades of my own making.

You have been warned!

I noticed that we also got an honourable mention on the Somerset Express webpage where - despite cutting and pasting a chunk of my own press release - they referred to me as "Ken W" lol.

Ken W: that's my Pseudo-Nipponese Production-Office Nom-dum-plum. Look out for my forthcoming films: "Earless Black-Haired Gore-Witch: Attack!" "Full-Metal Wolf Ramones" and "Calamari Boy O".

I'm spinning off multiple-identities now like a super-heavy element shedding valencies. Ha!

10 Comments:

At 7:09 am, Blogger guttersnipe said...

c,mon ken - i mean kek - strictly in the interests of historical documentation..show us the damn photo!!!

 
At 9:31 am, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

Hysterical documentation!

 
At 11:05 am, Blogger Pete Um said...

Ha ha. Very good. I've turned up to venues to find myself billed as 'Umm' and even 'Erm' before but there's some distilled funniness in the simplicity of Ken W.

Always thought the back cover of Camembert Electrique was a bottomless well of a resource for style actually.

 
At 1:19 pm, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

'Umm' and even 'Erm' = LOL!

I sometimes get called "Kev" heh!

Damn: "Camembert Electrique" - now I wanna play it! Early Gong: worra great look! I'm just a pale pastiche. A wannabe.

Thinking of going Northern Soul.

 
At 7:58 pm, Blogger Fritz Bogott said...

If absolutely necessary, I might be willing to settle for a one-page treatment of Full-Metal Wolf Ramones. Get to work!

 
At 8:42 pm, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

I'm working on something right now that I, uhm, can't talk about til it's done...yeah, I know how crap that sounds, but all will be explained.

A one-page treatment of Full-Metal Wolf Ramones sounds v. tempting right now, actually. (I'm writing this comment so I don't have to work lol)

Maybe I'll do that afterwards. This thing is likely to take a couple weeks more, but I was kinda desperate to do some comic-book pitches, but we'll see...

I get easily distracted!

 
At 9:02 pm, Blogger Fritz Bogott said...

Not talking until it's done is a very reasonable policy. Break a lead.

 
At 8:31 pm, Blogger farmer glitch said...

Lets face it - after the WestGaz feature - it is all downhill from here .... been getting calls from the family members requesting I stop using my real name in future - what future I ask might that be ??

 
At 8:48 pm, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

hahaha - yeah, I've been stoned by members of my family.

The neighbours are demanding I'm put in the stocks. We are lepers now; social outcasts!

 
At 6:34 am, Blogger farmer glitch said...

Think a concept album needs to built upon this scenario !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home