KID SHIRT

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

ORCHESTRA INTANGIBLE '73





(Pics courtesy of internationally-acclaimed wildlife photographer Skipper Webb. I kept the date-stamps in cos it made it look like it was from some really strange cctv-footage or an old 80's vision-mixer lol.)

It's hard for me to express just how much I fucking enjoyed playing at this. My wife never ceases to totally amaze and inspire me; she's a complete natural; an intuitive.

Thanks to Rasha, Matt, Chiz, Mark and the gang for inviting us. Wish I had an audio or vid-recording of it, but the studio album's sounding mighty fierce and fine to me right now.

Yes, Orchestra Intangible '73 is my new/latest schtick, though is still evolving. The show was underpinned by the live, improvised manipulation of parallel streams of found-sounds generated by me three months ago, the mid-90s and 1979/1980 (I had no idea what was coming at me at any given moment, so had to build it all on the fly; it was like wresting an invisible octopus, but terrific fun). I also channelled myself aged 11 playing the clarinet (rehersals slightly scuppered by a heavy cold which played havoc with me lung capacity). Chris was absolutely superb, I thought, on contact-mic'd toy-kettle and out-sourced eukele bow-werk.

The '73 in the band-name has NOTHING to do with nostalgia; it's a Personal Totemic Power Number. Also a nod to The Discontinuum and various African musical groups. Plus: it sounds cool. The project is all about, er, healing, self-reconciliation and ego-surrender; fwd-movement and anti-nostalga, even though the hemi-karmickal reincorporation of my own previous incarnations may superficially appear to be a backward-looking geasture. Heh.

Very chuffed to be on a bill w/ some extremely cool artists - a bunch o'talented folks who are able to express themselves confidently in ways that I never could: more on them soon as I get a sec. I just loved those photos sooo much I wanted to put them up asap.

5 Comments:

At 10:02 pm, Blogger farmer glitch said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:04 pm, Blogger farmer glitch said...

Bleedin excellent stuff - hats off to you two ! Did you record it ?

Look forward to Saturday - messing around here tonight - poor little J-glitch freaked - go figure !!

 
At 10:45 pm, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

No, I don't have a recording, unfortunately...some of it sounded great thru the monitors: weird quasi-ethno-psychnoise with broken percussion-loops I was building randomly on the fly mixed in and out....keep meaning to ask Matt at The Cube if he recorded it thru the desk....

Just been firing up my poor ol' vintage laptop (takes 3 boots to start up) to see what I've got installed on it I can use...I'll prob use that if it works on the day, plus old cassette-players and assorted junk.

 
At 11:21 pm, Blogger Fritz Bogott said...

How about some shots of chunks of that giant-costume?

Also-- How did you fit your fifteen collaborators into all those six-inch-evil-gnome suits? They look really realistic.

 
At 12:00 am, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

The look like they're only a few inches tall, don't they? But they're actually about 15ft tall, each costume housing a number of musicians, animatronic puppeteers, etc. The props were built to scale too. The stage was enormous.

The performance took 6 months to organise and reherse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home