KID SHIRT

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

ON NOT BLOGGING

Some bloggage soon, I promise. Been busy.

Been running. Just been running in a Comets on Fire T-Shirt (and trousers too, of course!). Sometimes I dress up as Rocky - in the woollen hat and everything, and run in the rain. No, it's not some post-Christmas/New Year thing; I've been doing it for a couple years. I sleep better when I run; my bowels work better and my guts hurt less; I'm a lot less grumpy. It's good: I get to think, I move...I get ideas. Kids shout abuse at me as I run pass or throw stones, women smile; I see things in the dark. Notice stuff. Imagine.

I bought the running shoes two years ago in a sale. My sister gave me an M&S sweatshirt that doesn't fit. So it's a lo-fi/lo-cost endeavour. The trousers cost two quid - but they're slightly too short, too tapered at the bottom; and if I deliberately wear colourful spotty or stripey socks with them then I look like an off-duty clown. It's a role; it's dressing up, pretending...but also getting stuff done at the same time. This is how I work. Though it doesn't look like work.

Been busy.

Been playing around with this:





It's a still from a film. No, it's not the title; it's a still. Actually, it's not a film either; it's an UnFilm. It's really stupid - really, really stupid - and it's pretty strange too.

I have a bet with myself sometimes: what's the lowest-res footage I can use in a film? How can I fuck with it without using pro plug-ins and filters? How awful can I make it look? How bad? The trouble is: there's a disconnect here with intent, so the audience just think I'm rubbish at making films. Which I am, but not in the way they think lol.

Sooo, it's very messy work. And very slow. I have to be in exactly the right frame of mind; otherwise it just doesn't work and I have to shelve it for a day or two until I hit exactly the right combination of cigarettes, coffee and running; and then my mind switches over and it makes itself. Sometimes I run to the shop to buy cigarettes lol. There's a hill I like to run up. It's a metaphor for something.

Here's another (still, I mean):



That's one of the nicer, cleaner ones. Wish I had more time to do it properly; but sometimes it's good not to overthink things.

Sometimes, though, it's good to think.

Been thinking about this too:

2 Comments:

At 8:49 am, Blogger db said...

I think right now is kinda a recouping phase, a getting things together phase, or at least that's what I tell myself as I've been super behind on replying to things (I owe you mail, by the way, and I'll try to get it sent soonish). I kinda have that same feeling with music I put out, and it's good that most people (particularly young people) don't really need a lot of explanation, they can just get into it and appreciate it for what it is, but I have to fight the urge to explain: "You know, it doesn't sound like this because I'm *incompetent*, no, not that I'm bragging, I mean, these melodies in here are not an accident, but I put them way in the back on purpose, but I don't want to say too much about it, but don't overlook it", blah blah blah until it's micromanaged to death. I'm a lot better with that than I used to be but there's still a perverse impulse there. I think this is part of why there's such a strong appeal to artists who have died; they're not going to come back and fuck everything up with some bullshit explanation...

 
At 11:53 pm, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

Totally with you on all that:

I have to constantly fight this compulsion to *explain* stuff too...I get v. grrr with myself. "Just let stuff be! Let people see / hear what they wanna." I worry that this need to over-explain what I'm doing might be either arrogance, vanity or poor self-image - none of which are particularly appealing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home