KID SHIRT

Monday, September 14, 2009

TRAWLING / SHOPPING FOR JUNK

Following on from yesterday's post...

This morning I passed a local junk-shop where I found a couple of 1960's record-players stacked on a table. I immediately, errm, wanted them, but they were a bit overpriced, I thought.

Anyway, I thought I'd dump down a few recent pictures taken while browsing, digging, trawling or whatever we're calling it lol. Nothing particularly exciting, but just a few random items that've caught my eye in the last few days (feel free to post some of yr own and leave URLs in the comments box):














2 Comments:

At 1:59 am, Blogger Daniel Poeira said...

I always cite yard sales as one of the main indications that Brazil is in a completely different ball game than the UK and the US. Down here we've been raised in a culture of trashing thing out, destroying everything and then building it all over again from scratch. Nobody cares much about reusing stuff, trading used goods, wearing used clothes... It's considered cheap, something only poor people do. Which is wrong, and a big mistake.

I really envy people who can either make or attend to garage or yard sales. Y'all should be proud of them!

 
At 11:49 pm, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

"Nobody cares much about reusing stuff, trading used goods, wearing used clothes..." wow, I'm surprised about that.

Well, I think the fact that people in the UK throw so much stuff out is because they buy so much, or keep upgrading things, so it's probably just another symptom of rampant consumerism - people are so hung up over here about having 'new' stuff...but the tide is turning slightly. My own family are pretty thrifty - I wear clothes til they fall apart lol...still wear shirts and jeans that are nearly a decade old lol. Have become very conscious lately about trying not to waste stuff. My parents were working-class folk from the ww2 generation, so they were pretty thrifty, didn't throw food away, etc because they'd had so little when they were raising a family during the war. My wife's got a similar ethic; we've both learned from our parents, rather than leading any sort of middle-class neo-eco-life-style.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home