KID SHIRT

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

FILM POSTERS FROM GHANA

Via @JamesUrbaniak and @davidbmetcalfe some truly brain-melting movie-posters from Ghana:



Apparently, these were painted and used by mobile VHS-tape 'cinemas' that travelled from village to village. Each 'cinema' had their own unique and colourful brand-name, like a Jamaican sound-system. Man, I love shit like this.

Three or four years ago I heard about a market-stall somewhere in London - I forget where - that used to flog imported VHS-tapes of Ghanaian-made 'witchcraft' and 'ghost' movies to the local African community. I tried to track some tapes down, but no luck. Also talked to the guys at Le Dernier Cri 'cos I'd heard they had a line on the damn things. But no dice.

If anyone knows where I can get some VHS or DVD-r copies, please get in contact. You will have my undead gratitude. Trade or cash.

7 Comments:

At 1:50 am, Blogger Fritz Bogott said...

Working on it. The shortest path is probably to find a cornershop in London that caters to Ghanaian immigrants and ask. A lot of that stuff never hits the Net. I'm talking to a buddy of mine who went to university in Ghana. Meantime, there's this: Wicked Villagers and the Mysteries of Reproduction: An Exploration of Horror Movies from Ghana and Nigeria

 
At 10:19 am, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

Thanks, Fritz - you're good people.

I forget whereabouts in London the stall was - it might have been Dalston, I forget. I heard rumours that they would set up in school-yard fetes/fairs, carboot sales; anywhere where there was a African community. I asked a couple of London-based friends, but they'd not heard of such things. In a huge city of, what - 8, 9, 10 million? - why would they? lol

Maybe someone like John Eden might have come across something.

That article is fabulous and very informative - thanks for pointing me to it; I loved all the stuff about City Vs. Village and the subversion of reproduction. A couple of the covers I saw a few years back had phallic snakes and skulls vomiting money, so I guess those must have been for the Diabolo/Snakeman films.

The article has just named my next musical project (by accident)! Thanks. I recommend folks read this piece. V. interesting!

 
At 3:24 pm, Blogger Fritz Bogott said...

I'm now working on some comics that transpose the themes from the article onto Saint Paul. (It's so seldom you get to see a Norwegian-American transform into a jaguar while sitting in a Hmong donut shop.) You might want to try the same trick in Yeovil.

 
At 3:47 pm, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

You n me both: been having wild ideas myself all morning for 'themes' and transpositions; but unfortunately I'm snowed in with other work/preparations; too busy to move beyond just thinking about it.

I'm always cursed by being far more interested in the project that's 5 projects away than the one I'm 'sposed to be working on lol.

 
At 3:50 pm, Blogger Fritz Bogott said...

Well, here's someone selling The Snake Girl.

 
At 7:14 pm, Blogger I am not Kek-w said...

Jeez: there's an African version of The Passion of The Christ...!!!

 
At 8:04 pm, Blogger Fritz Bogott said...

Yeah, I noticed that one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home