KID SHIRT

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

RIP RON ASHETON

So sad to hear that Stooges' guitarist Ron Asheton has checked out...

Ron...Ron...Ron...

If Iggy was some sort of sensation-soaked satyr, the physical incarnation of disembodied Need, then Ron...well, Ron was the living embodiment of every 60's Garage Punk Band that ever necked an acid blotter and pretended to be The Stones; Ron's guitarhowl n grind somehow summed-up (and summoned up) the aspirations and frustrations of every gang of suburban wannabe-outlaws who ever dribbled out their dreams onto a self-released 45.

I was lucky enuff to see The Stooges a couple years ago and - despite some of the cynical nonsense you may have seen written by certain professional whingers and whiners - it was one of the best 10, 20 shows I've ever seen. Now, if that sounds like faint praise then let me tell you I've seen a loooot of bands and some of the other shows clustered around it all vying for attention in that list o'10-20 were life-defining, corner-turning moments. I saw Iggy a couple times in the 70s and this was way, waaaay better. The lame threw away their walking sticks and the blind marched gamely towards the light...

I have a lump in my throat right now. A rock.

Ron...Ron...Ron...

4 Comments:

At 5:59 am, Blogger db said...

Ron Asheton might have fucked up Destroy All Monsters (actually I think DAM fucked up DAM) but it doesn't matter because man, he just looks so fuckin' cool...

 
At 1:39 pm, Blogger Jason Gusmann said...

the stooges went totally downhill IMO after they moved ron to bass and let james williamson take over on guitar. the pure-lava flamethrower intensity of his stuff on funhouse will never be equalled. it got me through high school, that's for sure.

 
At 1:51 pm, Blogger Istvanski said...

This is the first decent obit type post of Ron I've read - nice one.

 
At 10:01 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Thanks, Istvanski.

And roger the above comments. Ron and The Stooges got me thru a lot of stuff too.

I do have a soft spot for some of the James Williamson stuff, but for totally different reasons. I really like "Kill City" - I think it's pretty underrated - there's a weird dark mood that pervades the songs; mainly the production, I guess...it's kinda murky and heavy, a real downer...music lost in an emotional fog...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home