KID SHIRT

Monday, January 26, 2009

ANTI-MINIMALISM IN ART: WELCOME TO THE NEW UGLY

I started writing something in the comments-box below as a response to The X, then decided to post it instead:

Actually, I'm really into the idea of fussy art right now - needless complexity; macro/meta; cluttered; multi-imaged stuff; Anti-Minimal; codified...

Bring back coats-of-arms; heraldry; pub-signs; art that contains a series of distinct, symbolism-loaded, disconnected images...a sort of faux-medievalism vs. symbolist grotesquery filtered thru Basquiat, etc...the visual equivalent of Prog, maybe? Or perhaps even Dub. Something where the joins - the sellotaped edits - show through so that there's a fracturing of idea n image, but unlike (most) collage-work or photomontage, the visual is a singularity, albeit a splintered one, its components divided by space, white paint, gaps...

I like the idea of formalised ugliness...a luridness or wrongness of colour - like in food photography (by this, I mean: photographs of plates of food outside Greek tourist-trap restaurants that have been bleached of their significance by the sun). Kodakchrome, Technicolor, analogue colour-processing and printing, chemical pigments...spectral linkages created by an unnatural conjoining of image.

9 Comments:

At 2:06 pm, Blogger Martin said...

I definitely want more power electronics albums with covers like your Jan 19th post

 
At 7:43 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

LOL! Yeah, that would be great, wouldn't it!

 
At 3:29 pm, Blogger the X said...

my comment was 'humour'... :(

ugly is great- made a shiny elvis shrine on top of the fridge, mexican- style: 'the guardian of overindulgent urges, the protector of gluttonous fools'... guacamole brut! :D

x,
-- X.

 
At 8:13 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

"my comment was 'humour'" - lol, yeah, I got that, but it was cool cos it got me thinking about the sorts of things I like in Art at the moment...which is always a good indicator of my temperament or where my mind's at...my tastes change and shift, so it's useful for me to sit back and think about what I like now and why - I know how pretentious that sounds, but it's not meant that way lol...

"guacamole brut" - lol that's a great term! I love that wild Brut look you get in certain strains of Mediterranean and Latin American art - that's a great shorthand term for summoning it up - I'll be using that in future; guess I'll have to pay you royalties lol...

 
At 9:50 pm, Blogger Jess Gulbranson said...

My dream is to resurrect the art nouveau poster... I was trying that with my Coeur Machant series, posters for an imaginary musical group/art gallery. The panache of that style but drastically reduced to a palette of only white, black ,and red. Now that I've made a real band to go with it, I think I'll pick this idea up again.

 
At 10:34 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

I love Nouveau stuff, Jess. The swirls and the feminine curvature...

It's weird: I was in a junk-shop in my home-town today and found a book on Toulose-Lautrec - an artist I hadn't paid much attention to when i was younger - found myself admiring the draughtmanship of his sketches and rough-works - his posters were almost a cliche when I was younger - they were everywhere at one point - but I really love those solid splashes of, as you say, "a drastically reduced pallet" - bold reds, blues, yellows - an artifact of screen-printing, I guess...but lovely nevertheless...

Go for it, man! - didn't realise you had a visual side as well as a literary one...

 
At 11:55 pm, Blogger Jess Gulbranson said...

And Mucha and Privat-Livemont... Unfortunately I'm a bit hindered by my technical art abilities, but though the flesh is weak the will is strong. I'll try and post some up on Dharma Beatdown when I get them finished. You should listen to the music as well... http://alonetone.com/coeurmachant
There is lots of other good stuff on that site too.

 
At 12:31 am, Blogger kek-w said...

Jess! I had no idea you did music as well, man...

Coeur Machant is you (plus fiends), right?

"Piri Reis" is neat - like Tortoise trapped in a drum-box...Post-Rock reducto...

 
At 1:54 am, Blogger Jess Gulbranson said...

Just me and Shreya. We've never met. Post-post-rock.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home