KID SHIRT

Saturday, November 08, 2008

MY FAVOURITE CAFE

Actually, I have loads of favourite cafes, but they shift in and out of focus depending on a whole bunch o'factors. But let's narrow the bandwiiiidth a bit and just zoom in on Yeovil. This is my favourite cafe at the moment; I particularly like going there with one or both of my kids...it's just, I dunno...special. I haven't had the free-time to go and do any writing in there...but it's high on my writing-spot wish-list. I wish it opened on sundays, tho. It's dark -really dark -even on the brightest of summer's days.

Fellow Yeovilllllians will instantly know where this is. But please don't say it's name out-loud; I don't want them to get all self-conscious and change a single thing about the place.

I went there with Kid Kid Kid Shirt ages ago for milkshake and chips (for her) and a pot o'black tea (for me) - tho certainly not for the first time - but had a particularly memorable n magical time...then, I tried n engineer'd situations where we could end up in there, just the kids and me. It feels like a bolt-hole. But now they actually ask me to take them there; I think they sense that I kinda seriously relax in some way...anyway, we were in there a couple weeks ago and they were playing Sabrina's "Girls, Girls, Girls" as I walked in and I felt myself just go *errrrmmmmummmnn* and my youngest just laughed - oh, look, Dad's gone all languid lol...

Today, all three of us ended up there for a crappy £1.90 kid's lunch type deal - more black tea for me, y'dig - and they were playing a James Brown track that I didn't recognise, followed by Hall & Oates and some late-90s UK Garage/pop cross-over...as Kid Kid Shirt removed all evidence of any vegetable contamination from her cheap microwave'd pizza they dropped some Howard Jones followed by a couple of old Jungle/Breakbeat tracks - all thru a hissy, tinny set of Goodmans speakers that really belong in a pimped-up Hillman Imp. What sort of fucking mix-tape set-up are they running here - this cafe should get it's own Blogariddim's set! Either way, much ketchup-splatter'd grinnage from da gurlz, followed by purchase of some Crazy Bones. ("They're waaaay cooler than marbles, Dad. My friend Robbie's into them - he's bored with sharks now.")

Sometimes we go to the Turkish Cafe, sit up straight, eat Posh Chips and pretend to be Guardian Readers even tho I'm starting to resemble Matt Valentine.

Life's good.

Some old photo's taken a few months ago - the place is positively gentrified now; you shoulda seen it 15 years ago.









10 Comments:

At 11:19 pm, Blogger John Eden said...

Fuck yeah. :-)

 
At 10:58 am, Blogger doppelganger said...

heh.... welcome to the world of Crazy Bones....

They're more addictive than crack cocaine... there's different street variants... it's 'Go-Go's' up here, but the sick and evil minds that churn out these things are even supplying kids as young as five with ones shaped like Marvel characters... or even..... MAGNETIC ones...

Our local dealer on Gloucester Rd flooded the market and let the kids OD on as many packets as they liked at first - then, as supply dried up, it became two packets per kid... They were stashing up their daily supply. Four packs of Crazy Bones was the standard door tax to a kid's party.

Then, sometime around July, there was the great two week 'Go-Go Drought' - organised by forces more ruthless than OPEC in witholding supply.

None to be had at all... parents in the playground swapping rumours of a guy over in Easton who was running a supply out of a warehouse in Birmingham... attempts to foist cheap counterfeit product onto the streets....

Low level street barter got violent and out of hand. The school's much heralded 'War on Crazy Bones'just drove the trade underground....

be warned mate.... be warned

 
At 11:20 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

LOL!

Their school had only just locked down last month's marbles craze - then Crazy Bones mania erupted n caught the teachers on the hop.

What I do with our kids is make 'em walk a mile or so into town - wear 'em out with exercise, feed them stodgy food so they're a bit dozy, then they get less of a Crazy Bones rush, see?

 
At 7:09 am, Blogger farmer glitch said...

Over here at Glitch mansions - we have a serious Go-Gos thing going down - anyone need a swap of supa-rare Fisto - for give us a call - we have a sack load waiting to trade - maan...

 
At 8:39 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

For a second I mis-read that as The Go-Gos...lol....

Crazy Bones trading: that's what I'm talkin' about, see? - like swappin' rocks of crack or summat...

Yeah, I'm in.

 
At 7:22 pm, Blogger John Eden said...

yeah we got go-gos going on in the smoke, but they seem to have slid down the pecking order a bit. We also had The Drought - scary shit!

 
At 7:23 pm, Blogger John Eden said...

Also, how cool is that rip in the seat which looks like a lizard? I bet YOU did that, didn't you Kek, you vandal. It looks JUST like your creepy (in a good way) art stuff!

 
At 7:35 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

"We also had The Drought..."

Jeez - your kids have JG Ballard stickers and models to trade???!!! Awesome!

"I bet YOU did that, didn't you Kek, you vandal." Nah, I wish - I think it was made by the guy who was on the phone to (not making this up) "Mikey the Pikey"...lol

 
At 8:36 pm, Blogger doppelganger said...

man.... I want to see the 'Drought' action figure range!

 
At 8:56 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

You can still pick them up on eBay.

There's also a "Concrete Island" roundabout and crashed-car play-set...and a "Concentration City" train-set.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home