KID SHIRT

Saturday, October 18, 2008

RIP SUZZANNA

Sad to hear of the death of Suzanna Martha Frederika van Osch, aka Suzzanna, the Queen of Indonesian Horror Cinema ("Ratu Horor") and one of my own personal faves. For the last couple years I've harboured a burning desire to interview her; guess I'll have to be content with Dewi Persik instead.

From my pal Circle Brophy:

"Born in Bogor, West Java, Oct. 14, 1942. She began her acting career in the movie "Asmara Dara" (1958) and won tha best child actress award in tha Asian Film Festival (1960) for her performance in that movie. In 1972, at tha Asian-Pacific Film Festival, Seoul, South Korea, she was crowned Asia's Most Popular Actress!!!

"She starred in 42 movies btwn 1950 + 2008 tha last movie being "Hantu Ambulance" ("The Ghost Ambulance"). She passed away at her home on Wednesday 15th."

Here she is in "Nyi Blorong" aka "The Hungry Snake Woman" or "The Snake Queen":





4 Comments:

At 7:57 pm, Blogger Dan said...

"For the last couple years I've harboured a burning desire to interview her; guess I'll have to be content with Dewi Persik instead."

Or, break out the ouija board.

 
At 5:29 am, Blogger db said...

I've been looking for a dvd copy of Nyi Blorong (or even a decent .avi) for ages and so far no dice. The next time someone says you can find *anything* on the internet, be sure to slap them right in the face. Also, I'd be content with Dewi Persik! Content as hell!

 
At 12:38 am, Blogger kek-w said...

DB!

I don't have "Nyi Blorong", but if you have a player that can cope with subtitle-free VCDs then I have some other Suzzanna flicks I could send to ya.

"The next time someone says you can find *anything* on the internet, be sure to slap them right in the face." LOL - fer sure: "Killer Nerd" isn't even on YouTube. Time to go Old School.

 
At 12:40 am, Blogger kek-w said...

PS: ref: Dewi Persik...it looks like we've made contact with her manager and the questions are being translated, so hopefully this will happen. Great blog btw.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home