KID SHIRT

Sunday, April 27, 2008

THRILLER, ASIAN STYLE

Apologies to Droid: I confess I've no idea what the Sri Lankan zombie movie is that features a parody of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video...I've been consulting my book shelves and Googling, but to no avail. If anyone's got any info on this, please let me know.

I posted the Bollywood rip-off of "Thriller" a few months ago, and I'm guessing there must be a whole bunch of other Asian rip-offs of Jacko's video...actually, this idea has got me rather excited lol. Some research is in order here, methinks. There's a version done using Lego models, but I'm totally smitten by the idea of Asian 'bootleg' versions...

But to tide you over, here's a somewhat surreal version of the "Thriller" video performed by inmates of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center, Cebu, Philippines:

2 Comments:

At 12:21 pm, Blogger droid said...

I may have been mistaken about the Sri Lanken Thriller. I saw it on a TV program about obscure Asian horror (probably on c4) several years back, and the only other thing that I can remember from it is the mention of penanggalan ('head with dancing intestines') films, which are usually Malaysian (though there are similar folk monsters in Thailand, Japan and Indonesia). Seems they have a penchant for disembodied supernatural creatures over there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penanggalan

So - that version of thriller could in fact be Malaysian or Indonesian. Sorry for making claims based on my faulty memory banks.

 
At 10:46 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

"Sorry for making claims based on my faulty memory banks." - some of the coolest/best stuff comes from misremembered memories, I reckon.

I know bugger-all about Sri Lanken Horror, but now I want to...so thanks for tingling my taste-buds...Sri Lanka doesn't tend to get mentioned in foreign/Asian film books (I know, I've got one or two!), so I may do some digging here...but I'm not shure theres much roooom left in me brayne fur much mooore info...LOL

Yeah, I love all those Indonesian "Flying Witch's Head"/"Mystics of Bali" Penanggalan
mother-fuckers - my friend Circle lives in Indonesia and sends me bootleg Indo horror (or 'Witch' movies) VCDs and Dangdut CDs...

An indonesian version of "Thriller" - yeaaaah...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home