TEN RECORDS HIDING AT THE BACK OF YOUR COLLECTION THAT NO GROWN MAN SHOULD OWN
Inherited this chain-post from Dom Zero...I think the theme was prob. meant to be ten 'guilty musical pleasures' but I'm so unashamably guilt-free about about my love of what I love, that I wasn't sure what approach to take...I don't distinguish between High-Brow, Low-Brow or Sub-Brow: cheesy doesn't come into it; I either love it or I don't. So I just randomly free-associated and picked 10 things that I like that would probably make some other people cringe, but, hey, who cares... I assumed that everyone thought The Dooleys and The Nolans were post-cool.
Oddly, I was going to include "King of Pain" by The Police, a song I love by a band I otherwise hate (wh/ seemed in the spirit of this post), but St. Anthony pipped me to that. And here's Doppelganger's choice. I confess I do really like "Hey Mickey" and "Superstar."
Okay, off the top of my head....
1) Theme tune to "Josie & The Pussycats." ("Long tails and ears for hats")
2) "Power to all our Friends" - Cliff Richard. (Cliff never sounded better!)
3) "Some Girls Do" - Racey. ("I know I got the fever, but I don't know why..." - 'nuff said.)
4) "The Bump" - Kenny. (Full-on crunching glitterstompf! Dig the baritone-bass vocal repeat of the title)
5) "Better off Alone" - Alice Deejay (Bittersweet existential Eurocheese. Ice Bird Spiral even did a cover version of this on "Swineville")
6) "Close to The Edge" - Yes. (Okay, I know it's an album, but...
One side Rocks, the other not so much. After years of hating this lot, I finally bit the bullet and took the plunge last year...)
7) "I Could be So Good For You" - Dennis Waterman. (You're nicked, sunshine!)
8) "Angie Baby" - Helen Reddy. (Produced by Kim Fowley, I think, but this is soooo wrong; the sound of Radio 2 slowly turning evil...)
9) "Funky Gibbon" - The Goodies. (What's not to like.)
10) "Get Down"- Gilbert O'Sullivan. "You're a bad dog, baby/But I still want you around."
Wot, only ten...gaaaah: I was just warming up.
I think I'm supposed to pick three or four unwitting victims now and pass this on like a case of genital herpes....Betty, Gutta and Loki have all been fingered, so to speak...Cloudboy's busy, I know, readying himself for our next live show (tho go for it, man, if you got a moment and want to join in!), so the writhing finger of Fate now also points at Farmer Glitch, The X and Dan from The End Times.