KID SHIRT

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

GERMAN QUIRK #1: KLAUS NOMI

Thanks to my pal Circle Brophy for reminding me of the total genius of German-born Quirkster Klaus Nomi.



Circ sent me a mind-blowing mp3 of "Total Eclipse" which... hahahaha... let's just say I'd totally forgotten about that mental falsetto of his (Nomi's, not Circ's):



German-born Nomi ticks all the right Quirk boxes:

1) Former Bowie protege with an interest in overly-theatrical cabaret and mime.

2) Does that wonky but brill robot-dance so beloved of Quirk.

3) Severe make-up (ab)use.

4) Shows a preference for angular costumes/graphix/set designs.

5) Ridiculous hair-do.

6) Erm...

Nomi was a regular on the NY East Village scene who got hired to back Bowie as a singer for a Saturday Night Live appearance in '79...Bowie ended up wearing one of Nomi's ridiculous over-sized costumes during a performance of "The Man Who Sold The World" that attempts to Quirk Out at points, but is utimately let dn by Bowie's band of failed Session Rockers...Nomi also worked w/ Man Parrish (cool!)

Anyway, let's kick back and have a mini Nomi fest to celebrate the man's genius (enjoy!):




8 Comments:

At 9:31 pm, Blogger Gutter said...

that reminds me...you've got a thing about leo sayer haven't you? wasn't he a bit quirky earlier in his career. these days he's just an annoying old prick, of course...

 
At 10:28 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Funny you should mention Leo Sayer, Nick...I was thinking about him as a possible Quirk candidate only this morning...yeah, you're right: I'm quite partial to the 1st couple LPs, back when he slapped on the pancake and did the clown/mime/one man band schtick - some of the sangs ain't too bad, actually....but even back then you could tell he wanted to go for the sappy balladeer cum early 70s singer-songwriter thing...surprisingly, only a bit of the music is Quirkesque...but it did start me thinking about The Roots of Quirk and how they stretch back to the Pre-Glam Era...

Anyways, more on this at a later date.

 
At 7:31 am, Blogger St. Anthony said...

He was a complete one-off, Nomi, absolutely.
I remember my parent's 'what the bleeding 'ell' reaction when Sayer first jumped up on TOTP in full clown slap... then again, they did that with most of the acts.

 
At 8:04 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Tom from Helsinki checks in and says:

"Hey,

sorry I'm commenting on your blog via e-mail: couldn't get the comment thingie on the site to work.

I just love Klaus Nomi! Did you see that documentary they did about him a couple of years ago, "The Nomi song"? It's quite good. Includes a bunch of early gig-footage, interviews with Man Parrish and stuff.

Cheers
-Tom"

 
At 1:57 am, Blogger simon reynolds said...

did you see this blog Dalston Oxfam Shop has a share of a Klaus Nomi Live cassette?!?!?

http://dalstonoxfamshop.blogspot.com/2007/09/klaus-nomi-live.html


great cover

 
At 8:50 am, Blogger kek-w said...

Thanks for that, Simon -

It's an excellent post! Some really interesting info there.

I've been to the Dalston Oxfam blog a couple times in the past, but unfortunately it fell off my radar (along with a lot of other things) - must put it on my link list while I remember as it covers all sorts of stuff that I'm into...

 
At 7:49 pm, Blogger signorphibes said...

mmmh, probably I'm getting it all wrong but from your definition of Quirk, Japan seem to be a perfect candidate for the genre: prog iced by new wave (and a little bit of funk), thin white duke looks, make-up...

 
At 7:53 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Nope, I think you've nailed it there LOL!

Yeah, seriously thinking about Japanese Quirk, even as I write this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home