KID SHIRT

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

BLACK MOTH SUPER RAINBOW

Now, don't get me wrong: I like these guy's live stuff and their demos and basement jams, but I'm not sure how much I like their more recent recorded material...am I alone in finding all the vocoder'd vocals, processed beats and mellotron (plug-ins?) contrived and faintly irritating? It sounds, probably unintentionally, in places, more like some sort of post-ironic take on Psych by Air or Phoenix or some other Froggy chancers...a series of gestures and tropes, rather than anything genuinely transportative...I'm finding it hard to home in on any sort of genuine emotional narrative...(not that I'm hung up on authenticity or 'realness' - I do dig numb robo-hollowness & I like to plunge into the sea of plasticness from time to time...) ...bu-u-u-t: I feel strangely, I dunno, unconvinced by some of this stuff.

There's some kinda faintly breakbeatish drumming in places, and also some vaguely glitchy IDMish analoglaptop faux-pastoral touches that put me in mind of Boards of Canada (who I cannot fking stand) and various other 3rdgen Warp acts - this all feels like, umm, pandering to modernity for the sake of it...the result is a pseudo-psychedelic soup that sounds more Starbucks than ecstatic...the best Psych music shoots you out of yrself, or else drags you further in: it should be a Blakean affirmation or a deep-space inner negation, not luke warm, not coffee-table, not a mellow, life-style soundtrack accessory to be filed alongside HMV's Asian Lounge CDs...Pysch shouldn't merely be about 'niceness'... and this is probably one of my problems with BMSR's touring buddies The Flaming Lips - top, well-meaning blokes and I really wanna like them, etc - despite their attempts to bring technological texturings into Psych's fusty palette, there's a slightly limp sameness to their songs - they touch the ceiling or their toes when they should touch the sky or a G-spot deep in yr heart...

Yeah, it prob. sounds like I'm being unnecessarily harsh - after all, this is just a working band trying to accomodate and reach out to a wider, more mainstream audience whilst also trying to widen Psych's parameters by including textures normally associated with electronica - but I'm just not getting it, to be honest. And I don't wanna resort to the time-honoured cliche of "Yaah, well, I preferred their earlier stuff..." Live, tho, they've gotta lot more kick and clatter, but the recording process seems to have sanded their edge off.

8 Comments:

At 3:52 pm, Blogger cocaine jesus said...

the problem i have(and yes i am very aged) is hearing the same old same old again and again. bands, or rather the forces behind them, do not seem brave enough to 'go for it'. make a change. fuck rock and roll and do something NEW. they seem intent on maintaining a tradtion and not pushing boundaries.
think i need you young chaps to show me some new stuff.

 
At 7:22 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

LOL! Not that young meself, either, CJ...!!! Me knees creak in the mornings and I've got liver spots.

Still, I try'n be a bit adventurous, best I can, and shake off the habit-worn shackles of my teenage reptile-brain...but I find I still have a soft spot for various strands of 70s Acid Rawk, Kosmische, etc...the trick is trying to take that somewhere new...better men than me have tried and failed, but Mic and I promise to give it our best shot. He's an OAP too LOL!

 
At 9:54 am, Blogger cocaine jesus said...

good for you. wish it were me. first band i was in was called FAG. i was 17 and had no idea what the word meant to americans!

i would like to hear anything musical you create.

doctor A/murmurists does some really good stuff.

 
At 12:46 pm, Blogger Cloudboy said...

lol - as long as OAP doesn't stand for 'ordinary audio practitioner' the labels fine by me.

 
At 9:08 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Nothing *Ordinary* about you, mate!

 
At 9:13 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

CJ - FAG: LOL! There's a sort of remix chain-letter project going on at the moment involving my co-bloggers and regular readers...I'm trying to get both musicians and non-musicians involved - people that hadn't even imagined doing a remix/rebuild of anything before....would be cool to get folk such as yourself or Doctor A involved. I think the track is currently on about it's 4th incarnation...I can point you at the links if yr interested....the plan would be to put out a limited CDR of the progressive transformation accompanied by artwork/writing, if I get enough contributors...

 
At 7:33 am, Blogger gentle force said...

your right on the money as far as Black Moth Super Rainbow goes... really boring, cutsey, air melded with flaming lips sound. we just got it in here at work and I was excited to hear but afterwards just felt empty and unimpressed... :o(
oh and my pc should be up'n'running soon, ill get back onto that remix project!

 
At 5:51 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Cool! Looking forward to it...!

Yeah, with the right record-label/publicist BMSR have the potenial to be this year's Air...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home