KID SHIRT

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

ARSE SLAB LIVE

The first of a bunch of vids from last saturdays's show at The Yeovil Snooker Club. First up is James, aka Arse Slab. This is a 5 minute-ish excerpt from his set:



James was kinda reluctant to go on first, 'cause he thought that everyone would get pissed off and go home and not stay for the other bands. LOL! He told me that was the typical sort of response he was used to getting locally. He said his record was 70, that he'd once cleared 70 people out of a room during a gig. I said not to worry; that wasn't going to happen tonight - the people who had come, had come because they wanted to see something different. And you could tell that folks there were just up for a few drinks and anything that might be thrown at them. There was a really good vibe. People had come out determined to have a good time. If you've never lived in a village or a small town, then it's hard to explain how transgressive it is to do something like this - you really can feel quite socially isolated when you're young if you live in a rural area, but you're into avant or 'weird' music. I guess it's a lot better now...the internet has brought together people that are into minority/outsider music, but back in the 70s and 80s it really was soul-destroying at points, trying to do something that was a bit different. I've been v. lucky over the years...I've found groups of bored, like-minded friends who are game for a laff, be it forming Punk bands, putting on Acid House parties, etc...

Anyway, I really enjoyed James' set...especially, the looped gtr ploooinks...there was a bit, not on vid, where they were more prominent, like some sort of weird sonar sounds. I remember standing there with a drink in my hand, grinning to myself, thinking: I can't believe this is actually happening in my own home town...that I've not gone to the Cube in Bristol to see this... James seemed really up for doing something else at a future point, and he was familiar with the Cube scene and some of the labels I've been digging recently. I'm thinking that when Mic and I start playing live, he'd be a really good ally. I could imagine us hopefully playing on the same bills and so forth.



Anyway, a big special thanks must go to CyRus for coming up and filming as much hi-def footage as he could fit on his memory-cards. He's given up a bunch of his free time and authored a really great DVD of the night that we're passing round a few close friends. He's also kindly started ripping and uploading .avi files onto the net, which I'm loading to YouTube and posting here. Hope people get half as much enjoyment out of seeing these, as we had doing it. It really was a special nght for us. Thanks to everyone who came along and supported it. It's been really fabulous the way that everyone has rallied round and helped.

The last year or so, I've just started to feel I don't want to just be a consumer any more...there's been so much great stuff floating round recently that I was inspired to join in the fun. I just had felt I had to get involved on some level; that's why I've started doing music again, and working with Cloudboy has been totally brilliant. Putting on a show and maybe starting a micro-label both seemed like a logical progression...

More vids to follow...

3 Comments:

At 4:24 pm, Blogger the X said...

- 'SS Club 7'? ...LOL!

 
At 6:45 pm, Blogger St. Anthony said...

The necessity of noise.
Oh my God, I grew up in a small town. I was lucky to find the one other freak in the area - apart from that, forget it.
Sounds like a good night - did the smoke machine work out?

 
At 11:05 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Yeah, but we used up most of our smoke when we were rehersing in John's bunker in the afternoon! Filled the whole damn room up w/ smoke - there wasn't a lot left in the evening, but enough to make us happy! Video to follow (with a little bit of swirling smoke!) at some point...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home