KID SHIRT

Friday, January 26, 2007

PRINCESS KICKS THE BUCKET

I go away for one day...one day...and the fucking guinea-pig dies.

This is exactly why I was against having pets. Not the fact that the kids would be distraught and I'd have to do that whole mortality/what-happens-to-things-when-they-die chat-thing, but the fact that I'd get completely attached to it and fall to pieces.

So Chris shoves it in a shoe-box, then does a night-shift and goes to bed, leaving the bloody funeral arrangements to me. Kid Kid Shirt, who has shown nothing but indifference to the wee beastie was completely gutted, and she set me off, so that the pair of us ended up blubbing on the sofa.

Kid Kid Kid Shirt who was extremely fond of, er, Princess (don't ask!) laughed when I told her. Go figure.

Even the comfort concept of Heaven - a fall-back position for most parents when faced w/ pet mortality - was denied to me; payback for our banned use of the J- and G-words. That's what happens when yr a 1/64th Existential-Jewish-Buddhist-Gnostic Hawkwind fan.

So go gentle with me; I'm still feeling fragile. Death does that to me.

4 Comments:

At 7:09 pm, Blogger St Anthony said...

Kids, eh? Can never figure them out. I did laugh over your kid laughing over Princess's demise.
It's all that bringing Judaism/Buddhism/Gnosticism/Hawkwind together ... it's like nuclear fission.

 
At 7:28 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Nuclear frisson

 
At 8:30 pm, Blogger farmer glitch said...

Bout time you opened that copy of Dead Souls me thinks !!

Reminds me of the time me sisters hamster died - and my dad tried to convince her it was only in hibernation - and then tried to wake it up using a hair dryer - only to then confirm it was indeed dead ! -one of the highlights of seriously darkish-humour from me early days ... that old-man-glitch - he sure knows how to deal with a crisis !!

 
At 9:10 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Your dad rules!

I was backed into an anatomical corner where I had to explain Rigor Mortis to a 6 yr old in the garden shed. Meanwhile the youngest laughed and laughed, going: "Princess...Stiff! Stiff!" at the top of her voice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home