KID SHIRT

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

GOGOL

Sorry about the lacky of meaty posts of late, but have been insanely busy with this n that. Trying to juggle some fiction-writing w/ a pile of magazine work, plus a zillion t'other things...so blogging's had to take a temporary back seat, I'm afraid...

Actually, I had to chuckle at Paul Morley's column in the Observer Music Monthly about getting four randomly disparate CDs through the post, then writing 300 words on each in under an hour, just to test himself...then a cold shiver of terror went up my spine when I realised that he might not actually be joking...actually, I must ask Simon Reynolds some time (if it's not a personal question) how quickly he turns stuff round...my own writing speed varies from hour to hour for a raft of different reasons (tho can often be accelerated by sheer, blind panic as a deadline threatens to fall on me like a grand piano on a cartoon mouse)...buuuu-ut: think I'm going to have to work smarter n speed-up my verbage w/out sacrificing whatever little quality I might possess...there's another level or ten to all this nonsense, and I'm going to have to change gears and make the jump up to the next notch pretty soon or else forget about it...

Anyway, just been unexpectedly asked to cover this at The Cube, Bristol tomorrow night, so will hopefully be up in town if anyone's out and about.

6 Comments:

At 8:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

always wondered how professional writers managed to keep the ball rolling...I look back on stuff i've written and can't think how it happened...it's like i went into a trance and some words came out. right now, at this minute, i can't imagine writing anything about anything. if i was doing it for a living i'd be stone-cold fucked (and very poor). If I'm not in 'the zone', then it ain't gonna happen. Morley's an astonishing talent, isn't he?

 
At 9:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn - if it had been a performance of 'Dead Souls' at the Cube I may well have driven up with ya !!

And Morley hey - sure has been on the case for the best part of 3 decades and his early NME stuff is totally essential - although I wish he would get the hell off all thos 100-best-this-n-that shows on my box - and now he is a CBB critic - suppose it pays his bar bills ...

 
At 10:01 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

"a performance of 'Dead Souls'" ...LOL! You old existentialist...I've got a copy here I keep meaning to read but never quite find the time to pick up...

Yeah, Morley's one of my fave critics, just for his late 70s/early 80s stuff...him and Penman were the tag-team supreme...his own tastes don't speak too much to me these days, but he'll always be a major talent...

Yeah, Nick, part of it is going into the zone: sometimes I can rattle fairly good stuff out fairly quickly and write an article in a couple hours; other days I sit there dribbling and going 'duhhhhrrrrrr...'

I think Simon said he uses an work-avoidance technique until he's in the right mind-state...

 
At 10:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'work-avoidance technique'?
man, that sounds like my kinda thing...although my wife would prob say that's me 24/7. ha!

 
At 12:37 pm, Blogger Cloudboy said...

bugger, wanted to go to this myself but nobody fancied the gypsy punk experience :-(

 
At 6:23 pm, Blogger blissblogger said...

the web has opened up new vistas for my work-avoidance -- blogs,webzines, newspapers on the net, disccussion forums --

in fact i'm avoiding work right this minute

flicking through music reference books also good, interpreted loosely to include things like joe carducci's rock and the pop narcotic

 

Post a Comment

<< Home