KID SHIRT

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

PEVERELIST/BASS CLEF

Thanks to Tom aka Peverelist, for kindly interrupting his Christmas Eve to give me some info on his forthcoming twelve:

"...hopefully the ("Erstwhile/"The Grind") 12" will be out in around February. I'm really slow at making music but I'll keep you up to date with new developments. I wouldn't really like to try and describe my music as anything in particular - just a culmination of influences I guess. I'm into so much different stuff. I'm just trying to make music that vaguely fits in with what my contemporaries are doing (ie. Dubstep), but without imitating or closing doors to other ideas. I guess I'd call it Post-Jungle, if you really pushed me. Jungle is/was the most socially, politically and sonically important & exciting music ever made as far as I am concerned. Maybe thats just my generation though..."

"'The Grind' wasn't intended as a sexual reference; that amused me. More the daily grind of life - the idea being everything changes over your lifetime, yet nothing really ever changes." Then, modest as ever, Tom signs off with: "I'd better shut up before pretension alarm-bells deafen us both..."

Both Nick and Ade have been bigging up Bass Clef recently, but I confess it was Tom himself who recommended him to me a few weeks back...and while I didn't jump for the LP (and I'm poss. not as smitten as some of my blogging colleagues) I was sufficiently convinced to fork out for the 12" "Hackney Centralist" EP on Blank Tapes which, I have to confess, is sounding a heckuva lot better on my Wharfdales than on the headphones in the shop. Ralph Clef's an ex-Bristolian, who I think used to work in the much-missed Imperial Records shop...



Anyway, nice mash-up of spacious downbeat grooves and slightly more uptempo-ish breakbeat trickery (reminiscent of classic, prime-time Squarepusher - or maybe I'm playing it at the wrong speed!); again, I'm detecting what possibly sounds like a love for Old Skool Jungle presiding over darkish, contempo urban beats...the tune that won me over was "Clapton Deep", wh/ replaces the scratchy, hiss-smeared atmospherics of Burial's work for total bass immersion: here, vast black chasms sit between the beats; deeeeeep, dark absences that seem to lay beneath the listener like the vast gulfs of interstellar space...sounds hiss and glide around in the darkness below, like wisps of vapour and semi-liquid, superheated plasma; eerie, yet colossal-sounding (without being bombastic)...it hints at enormous spaces, at gaps in the aether...recasting Hackney/Clapton (one of my old stomping grounds) as a series of blurred snapshots; a Flickr slide-show morphing between cracked, dislocated images at sloooow, sub-atomic, dream-like speeds, our feet embedded in boots of glue as boarded-up shops and hyperluminal laundrettes drift past us in the greyscale night...

Tom said Bass Clef played an absolutely cracking set in the Rooted shop in Bristol a few weeks back that included, I think, trombone (!?) and live percussion. Apparently, this was filmed and Tom's hopefully gonna tip me off when this gets YouTubed, so I'll def. link to that when it appears. In the meantime, the EP is a cracker and I feel myself slowly being drawn towards the album...

2 Comments:

At 12:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Ralph used to work at imperial, and yes he plays trombone, along with theremin and various percussion instruments - as so elequantly described (ha!) by me back in feb (http://gutterbreakz.blogspot.com/2006/02/king-of-stokes-croft.html) . The live shows are always a riot. You should def try and make the next one in jan. Be good to see you anyway...

 
At 12:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats - you win first prize for spotting that I can't spell 'eloquently'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home