KID SHIRT

Saturday, November 04, 2006

MORE FINNISH SYNTH MUSIK

Actually, Nick: I think you might quite like this too.

Also I think you and other Kid Shirt readers might dig Kompleksi affiliate Citizen Omega aka Eero Salminen aka DJ Willy, who sounds like Visage on steroids. Go check, it's great stuff!

There's also Polytron and Unidentified Sound Objects. If I had some spare cash (and time) then perhaps assembling a Finnish synth compilation album or CD might be in order...feel sure there's a market out there amongst synth-nerds and Finnphilliacs...

And let's not forget the wonderful TV-Resistori...who I've mentioned before.

'Course there was always the Finnish minimal techno label Sahko, Mika Vainio, Jim Tenor, etc...

And in the early 80s there was a Bowie/Kraftwerk influenced "Futu" (short for Futurism) scene featuring groups like Stressi, Hot Sox...and there was the Einstein A Go Go club in, I think, Helsinki...



(Stressi: "We're (Finnish) Showroom Dummies...")

6 Comments:

At 4:34 pm, Blogger GTTRBRKZ said...

There was an Einstein a Go Go club in Helsinki?! Jesus, that fucked up...in a really good way, of course. That whole Pan Sonic/Sahko scene is pretty much my only point of contact with the Finnish scene, but this homespun futurist alternate reality thing they've got going sounds like my bag. ie, absolutely nothing like Goldfrapp. It lacks the Romo glamour..more like unkempt young men in holey sweaters recording on a four track tape without midi, with the humming of kitchen appliances as an added ambience. Hurrah!!

 
At 4:45 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Yeah, they sound like they're having a bit of fun with it, y'know.

As you know, I can't stand Goldfrapp: for someone who's basically a (lets face it) glam/gay-club act with student closs-over appeal, she's had a bit of a humour transplant, I think...some of the interviews I've read, anyone would think she's an operatic diva not some tatty chancer who's repeatedly ripped-off The Rah Band.

Still, these guys seem to be having a bit of a laff...and I like the sounds: it's got that open-minded post-punk mix it up 79-83 vibe about it...

Have you heard any of the Alt>Delete electro-'punk' bands? Some of them have got a bit of bite...

 
At 9:17 pm, Blogger GTTRBRKZ said...

'fraid not. the last thing i heard that tickled my fancy was a couple of tunes by a group called Xex on a comp. tape someone sent me. Somewhere between The Normal, Vice Versa and The Future, but with deadpan American vocals. It was like a bad joke..but one that I could still appreciate!

 
At 9:20 pm, Blogger GTTRBRKZ said...

...although I should add that I'm not sure if Xex are a new group or some obscure contemporaneous thing that got re-issued. Any ideas..?

 
At 9:32 pm, Blogger GTTRBRKZ said...

er...maybe I should've googled Xex b4 I started my comments. Here's a pretty good resume of the group...
http://www.appelstein.com/xex/

 
At 11:20 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Not heard of Xex; sounds like a Jack Kirby monster comic from '61...LOL!

Cool name, tho. And some great precedents you've name-checked there, of course...will check 'em out.

Try: http://www.myspace.com/altdelete

I like Dandi Wind (they're Canadian and are touring at the moment)...kinda Lene Lovich meets Fad Gadget....

And Kap Bambino (French Hard Disco mayhem)...

The Alt>Delete compilations are a nice mix of old school electronic pop, dirty disco, nu glam, post DFA post-post punk and scando indy...well worth checking, and Jane and Ricky who run the label are top geezers...you might not like everything they put out, but I think there might be a handful of nuggets that'll tickle yr fancy, Nick...

...but the Finnish synthstuff has a gritty lo-down fuk-orf attitude that I dig; it's sub-underground and bedroom-y...but has one foot in the old skool Shef sound: sounds fresh w/out being 'ironic'...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home