KID SHIRT

Sunday, September 03, 2006

TARNSMAN OF GOR

This, then, is for Doppelganger (who got my joke), Dom and any other saddo Fantasy Pulp fans out there:



The reason I've been thinking about the Gor books recently is because I just read an interesting article about the books and their writer John Norman in the first issue of Pulpmania:



Behind the dodgy-looking cover lies a series of well-written and extremely informative articles about the last gasp of UK pulp culture in the 70s/early 80s before distribution changes killed the 'spoitation market stone dead...so there's pieces on the NEL Biker and Hells Angel books (remember Chopper, Mama, Freewheelin' Frank, etc)...interviews with Peter Cave and Guy N. Smith (author of The Crabs series of books)...the guys doing this obviously have a real love for the subject matter and it shines thru. My only complaint was the binding, wh/ came loose v. quickly on my copy (but maybe it was, like, a deliberate tribute to the halcyon Pulp days...). Available from Bristol-based Hot Cherry.

The piece on the Gor books tracks the series descent into mysogyny and soft bondage fantasies until it finally came a cropper as PC culture became increasingly sniffy towards its chicks-in-chains imagery...I remember reading a bunch of them in my teens but finally getting hacked off w/ them as they got longer and longer and duller and duller as Norman went completely off the deep-end w/ his lengthy (and tedious) descriptions of naked white-skinned wimmin in slave-collars and his half-arsed anti-feminist rants...didn't realise he'd written 25 of the fuckers, and a new-ish 26th one has recently been published. Apparently, there's all sorts of Gor-related sites and message-boards and forums out on the Infobahn, and you can even buy a Gorean slave-collar out there on the net if that's what floats yer boat.

Personally, though, I'll take a moaning black sword any day...

15 Comments:

At 10:34 pm, Blogger doppelganger said...

Only 25?!?

Jeez.... it felt like there were thousands......

 
At 2:11 am, Blogger El Duderino said...

I saw this a while back but never got round to buying it. Dom should read it, though. Great cover. There was a big tabloid thing a couple of months ago about a Gor cult living in some mid-england shithole like Aylesbury. Apparently some local shopkeeper took exception when the guy brought his slave in on a leash. Quite right too. He should have tied her up outside! Why do I never meet girls like that?

 
At 9:01 am, Blogger kek-w said...

Yeah, Dom will absolutely flip for this: it's right up his street.

Gor Cults infiltrating Middle England!? Whatever next! Actually, we've got some Melniboneans squatting in a semi a few doors down. Bloody toad elementals all over our back garden...they come over here and take our jobs, etc, etc....cont. page 1 of the Daily Mail, etc

 
At 11:38 am, Blogger Dominic Zero said...

I'm gonna try & pick up a copy of it this week as I have to go into town tomorrow - what shop were they in Dudeboy?.
I read a Gor book recently as I sell them quite a lot - 'Slave Girl of Gor' I think it was..it was fucking awful just as you say, boring & self indulgent - but I have to know my market.
Out of interest..number 25 - 'Magicians Of Gor' - goes for around 50 or 60 quid. And from #20 up they do go for pretty good money, so I'm always on the look out for them.
I'm with you..Elric Rules.

 
At 1:08 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Yeah, I think the last 6-10 go for more money as they had lower print-runs...it's a bit like the high-number Doc Savage doubles...

 
At 1:52 pm, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Marvellous Kek. I just read your piece in 'Fact' as well. I was fascinated by that bit about the sawing of the CDs. That was amazing. Can they really do that? Really well written. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I think I stood on the shop assistant's hand to get to it on the shelf. Sorry Mrs Shop Assistant! Oops.

 
At 2:16 pm, Blogger El Duderino said...

They had it in Borders, but that was quite a while ago.

 
At 5:52 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

yeah, I got mine in Borders...Borders of Bristol, so no use to you Cockney boys.

Thanks, Mol. Yeah, it's called 'saw-gash' CDs...the Chinese kids used to pick them up mega-cheap, as they were exported as scrap-waste...it was the only way anyone got to hear non Government-sanctioned Western Rawk....now, I expect there's a couple hundred HMVs in Beijing...

 
At 6:16 pm, Blogger Dominic Zero said...

A Borders in Bristol? Blimey, you lot will have running water before you know it.

 
At 6:26 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

...As opposed to running sores, which is what we got now. "Ain't never been the same round 'ere since The Black Death."

Try their website, Mick...I expect they'll post you one...

 
At 7:25 pm, Blogger Dominic Zero said...

Ar, The Black Death..was that a type of acid tab?
Can't find the fucker up here, tis long gone it doo seem.
Is it just Pulpmania Dot Com?
I'll fish around anyway. Off to bed, up at 3am. Pam Ayers is on tomorrows show so I'd best be on my best form.

 
At 8:24 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

LOL! Yeah, like Black Samaurai, but worse. There's a link to their site on the post above: Hot Cherry.

Looks like they do back-issues....

 
At 8:39 pm, Blogger rocket ron said...

black samaurai.... i remember tripping out on them at some biker do at cricket st thomas... damn good they were. which is more than i can say for the greabos. they wanted to kill us....im thinking of starting a gor cult of sorts. based in ivel court...

 
At 9:07 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

A Gor Cult at Ivel Court...LOL!

Fuck, I forgot about that shit-hole. Thanks for moving my oven!

Yeah, man, them Black Sams were vicious!

 
At 10:32 am, Blogger Dominic Zero said...

I've sent off for Pulpmania using the old fashioned postal system. I hope it works.
Black Samurai...Jesus that's a Time Tunnel I'm not sure I want to go down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home