KID SHIRT

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

PAAVOHARJU

From Savonlinna, Finland, comes this amazing 7" single by Paavoharju via UK label Type Records wh/ sounds so wunnderfully wrong in all the right ways.



"Uskallan" starts w/ a creepy sounding baby-cry followed by fractured beats, grunting noises and swirling fairground keys, and a sinewave synthsound that's vaguely mindful of "Dreaming of Me" by Depeche Mode played distantly thru autumn woods late at night. There's some odd factory-noises and vocals that remind me strangely of Canto-Pop or maybe a Bollywood ballad. The chorus is huge (in a small way) and strangely moving w/ a dreamy 80s electro-pop-vibe.

How to describe this in plain English: I can't really. Retro-electronic Psych-pop, maybe...remember the ol' 80s 'Dreampop' tag used by the likes of AR Kane? Well, it's not like that either...

Flip it over like an old omlette and you get some hissing ambient sound that surfaces in a bubbling volcanic hot-water spa; languid, opiated sounds spin and shift and tumble over each other; piano melodies evaporate as fast as they appear, w/ fake endings aplenty...in places it sounds like a lost, experimental Steve Lipson/Anne Dudley mix for Das Psych-Oh Rangers, except someone forgot to put any vocals on it and it has sat for 20 yrs on the hard-drive of a dusty Fairlight, abandoned in a store-room at Sarm West. Every cliched post-Satie soft-piano/Howard duh! Budd/music-box concept of 'loveliness' and mid-fi oppulence is thrown in at once until the kitchen-sink is full of malted, melting musical syrup, but as much as I try to dislike it, all the smeary ambi-pop tropes still fail to negate how beautifully smacked out this is...

8 Comments:

At 8:21 pm, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Hello Kek...I asked if I could borrow an MP3 player today...and they said, 'Yes'. So hopefully will be able to do your little song. I am just up to my eyes in work at the moment...so bear with me.

I keep playing '119' it is so lovely. One of my fave songs ever. I think I might go and find it...does the place actually exist?
It should have a blue plaque.

 
At 10:06 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Hey Molly...cool! That would be brilliant...

What were you thinking of playing it on...was it a kid's organ, or a piano or something...?

I haven't had a spare minute to do anything 'musical'...though I've got the beginning of what might possibly turn into a live set...like an introduction piece and maybe the 1st track, though it's all stuff I recorded years ago, so I'm just re-editing, jiggling it...just got a pile of new work today, so bang goes any spare time for a week or so...

I've got a blue plaque. On me teef!

Ha!

 
At 7:50 pm, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

What would you prefer? Piano or Bontempi organ?

I can probably do it on the grand piano at work. I'm not sure how I do these things..but when I get a moment I'll try I promise.

 
At 7:51 pm, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

One of the most horrible insults at school was to call someone 'plaque breath' - along with 'Joey Deacon' which I still use constantly...to this day.

 
At 7:51 pm, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Joey want a biscuit?

 
At 11:49 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Jeez...Joey Deacon sure gets around...I think I went to school with him too....and my wife knew him too....dddduhhhhrrrrr, joooooey....

At my school we had Debbie Belbin
aka 'Smellbin'....

"Belbin, belbin...you are a smellbin..." I still taunt Chris with that: "You arrrrre a smellllbin...!"

Organ or Piano: whatever causes you least inconvenience, Moll....

If it takes too much of yr time, then don't worry...you've got a job, kids, etc so don't wanna take yr valuable time...so no probs if too logistically unfeasible....

I gotta spend a few minutes trying it on a keyboard myself (can't play, but what the hell...!)...I've got some weird idea in mind on how I might use this...getting some text-ideas that might be based round bits of my Alice Deejay post, plus some new bits....so I might do that over a languid, slow version of the melody-line, if you get the chance to do it, then I'll use that, or loop a part of it....the trick is finding the balance between poignancy and cheesiness...

I'll prob. do my own version as well w/ some fucked-up beats and maybe pitch up my voice to copy Alice Deejay's vocal-line and beef up the melody-line w/ some kazoos...

I'd start w/ the slow bit w/ some spoke text (maybe thu a megaphone) then go into the beat-i-er version....the idea is to do this as part of a live set sometime...maybe later in the year, but my free time at the moment is pretty much non-existant...

Duuuuhr....joeyyy!

 
At 9:53 am, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

I'll try and have a go this week...but all this fangled MP3 and recording stuff is a bit hard for Joeys like me. I might try and do it on both - piano and organ. I played it on the plastic sax as well. That sounded really poignant. Rather like a kind of Lee Marvinesque 'I was born under a wandering star' type sound. Perhaps I'll put that down too. I'll see what I can do...but time is like silver glitter at the moment.

 
At 11:52 am, Blogger kek-w said...

Thanks! But don't fritter that silver glitter...

Just chill out, play w/ the kids, whatever...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home