KID SHIRT

Friday, July 28, 2006

THE INNER MOUNTING FLAME

Many thanks to the mighty Liv for sending me this:



(The camera flash adds to that whole, I dunno, inner flame thang...)

There was a time in the 80s or maybe even more recently when I associated McLaughlin with souless, almost impenetrable, hypervirtuosity, yet I somehow recently made contact w/ another, younger, me, sat listening in wonder to (ulp!) Alan Freeman's early 70s sat. afternoon radio-show and hearing the Mahavishnu Ork. slicing through atoms in the air with razor-sharp gtr and storming the sky on a ladder of ARP-synthnoise...ah, fuck, what internal fractur-r-r-re happen'd betwn the hemispheres of me brain 'tween then & now..h-how did I bicameralise to that degree...blame it on Punk, maybe...perhaps it deradicalised me in some way, or may-be I just got fuckin' older. Who knows/cares?

Anyway, John's fresh from playing w/ Miles and he's on fire here: in places, it's sheer total machine-gun boogie...this shit fucking rocks, man. This is some fierce shit, but w/ a transcendental pseudo-gypsy undertow ("Who you jivin' w/ that Cozmik Debris?") Can't get over how young they all look on the cover...it's The School of Jazz-Rock Year One (not Year Zero). Class of '71.

Been meaning to buy this forever...could've gone into Acorn or bloody Woolworths, probably, and got a crappy CD copy for a fiver, but something was telling me to hang on for an original, much-loved vinyl...never expected one to come all the way from Norge.

Gonna take this copy to the grave w/ me, Liv. Thanks.

7 Comments:

At 12:45 pm, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

This sounds really great. That was nice of Liv to send it to you. There are some lovely, kind people out there. If you search long and hard enoughxx

Just a quick message. Go and buy the Observer and look at the magazine on page 29. I've spent hours this morning looking at that. Excellent.

 
At 5:48 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Tried to check a copy but our local shop don't stock Observer, Grauniad, etc...just Screws of the World for the chavs and Mail/Express for our jeep-owning knobhead kneighbours who drive their 9-seater Space-buses 250yds to the shop. "Boy, that pint of milk sure is heavy...that's funny, I don't seem to fit in the new trousers I bought last week..."

 
At 7:57 pm, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Oh, damn. I'll send you a copy of it if you like. I think you'll like it. Hang on...I'll see if I can find it on the web first.

 
At 8:01 pm, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

It was a big thing about Albert Hofmann...but a brilliant pic of 'trip-out' snakes. I'll keep it for you if you want it. E-mail me if you want it: bettinacress@yahoo.co.uk
and I'll post it to you. I'd like to blow it up really big.

 
At 8:56 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Actually, I've just got back...I cycled up the Co-op a few minutes ago to get some stuff and checked out a copy...yeah, some nice big pictures of acid blotters...ones signed by Albert Hoffman were really collectable & they're selling them on eBay :-)

There's some more blotters
here
and, uh,
here


They've got some signed by Kesey & the Merry pranksters
here

 
At 10:01 pm, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

I love things that move like that. I nearly died when I saw that Elvis one...because...for a moment there...I thought it was Lee Majors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But then realised it wasn't...
*Slow release of breath*

I like the Alice ones too.

I just cycled up the co-op...that makes me smile.

 
At 10:24 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

A Lee Majors acid tab would be totally boss, I reckon...

"Whatcha got, mate?"

"Oh, some Bionics...I'm doing 'em for a fiver each, but they're a bit fierce..."

"Are those the purple Lees, or the blue ones...?"

"These are the purples. The Lees. The visuals are fucking mental on those...they last a good 10, 12 hrs. The blues are the Lyndsey Wagners. You come up quicker, but they're a bit speedy...alright if you're going clubbing or something. They won't mess you up too much."

"I'll take a couple of Lees..."

"Nice one, mate. That'll be a tenner. I got some Chuck Norrises comin' in next week. I'll give you a shout..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home