KID SHIRT

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

VILLE LEINONEN & VALUMO

Ville Leinonen held the fort really well, I thought, w/ his impromptu solo set at the recent Fonal Records' Nite at The Cube, Bristol, but I really didn't expect this 7" w/ his group Valumo to be sooo, I dunno, Cowboy Rock:



Nearly 10 years old, I believe, (he don' even look like that no more) and both tracks Poppy as fuck (well, sort of): "Varpunen" is propelled by galloping, almost Rockabilly drums and frantic guitar-stumming, like Yip Yip Coyote but w/out the 80's production, plus some Ghost Riders-ish echoplex'd backing vox...

"Hei, Sisareni" is a real grower: languid, spacious, semi-acoustic (almost fake Mexican-sounding) that comes at'cha like a Scando Spaghetti-Western Soundtrack... discrete slivers of twangy, Shadows-esque North-of-the-Border geetar. Nice.

Hmmm: now, there's an idea: a Finnish 'Western'...

2 Comments:

At 4:57 pm, Blogger the X said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:20 pm, Blogger Molly Bloom said...

I really enjoyed reading about your fave films...I put a comment down there. Keep up the great work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home