KID SHIRT

Saturday, May 06, 2006

BIG CHIEF I-SPY

Another thing that I sort of unconsciously collect are old school children's small-format 'fact' books. Picked up this 1969 I-Spy book yesterday for a few pence in a charity shop (nice olive green on the cover):



(Heh. I particularly like those key-shaped coins on the cover...no, but wouldn't it be great if coins actually were minted in more interesting shapes (that stuck into your leg when you were walking), or if they did have random words like 'SPY' written on them. What about different coloured coins, eh? How little imagination we apply to the design of money. Jazz 'em up a bit, I say...)

Actually, this is a lot more interesting than it looks...for instance, I never realised that a previous attempt had been made to decimalise sterling back in 1849 w/ florins and 5-farthing pieces. There's also stuff about the artists initials on pre-decimal English coins, and I'd totally forgotten that there was once a Half New Pence piece wh/ was eventually phased out (in the 80s?)...Wow, Kek, get a fucking life, man. No, really, I love all these arcane facts...I love the fact that things were once different to how they are now.

This came out b/fore decimalisation in 1971...but I love the way they've under-lit these new 50p pieces on the back cover so that they look reet spooky...



A fear of money...s-sinister money...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home