KID SHIRT

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

DETECTIVE COMICS #311

Picked this up in Devon last week for a couple quid:



Considering how cheap it was, I'm amazed it's still in one piece and in okay shape for a reading-copy: bargin!

I don't particularly like Batman much as a character...well, not the modern Batman, at least. But I looove the mid-fifties period onwards thru to the Post-TV Show "New Look". The Neal Adams stuff is good, and I like some of the Irv Novick and Jim Aparo stuff, but, to tell you the truth, I kinda lose interest somewhen around the late 60s/early 70s...

But this is Batman, back when he was good...in the era of Bat-Mite, Bat-Woman, Bizarro Batman, Ace the Bat-Hound, the "Zebra Batman" etc. There's also a completely bonkers Martian Man-Hunter back-up strip, which was an unexpected pleasure...I've got a handful of Man-Hunter strips from that era and they're all totally insane. This one is a complete joy, because it introduces his transdimensional side-kick Zook:



Yay! Also some great druggy-lookin' aliens too:



If only modern newstand comix were this deranged...*Sigh*

4 Comments:

At 9:33 am, Blogger doppelganger said...

hmmmm......

 
At 8:42 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Hadda feeling you might not agree, Dopps old chap; but not done w/ the intention of flaming ya...

Most modern takes on Batman don't sit particularly well w/ my personal sense of aesthetics/world-view...they're either just Elseworlds/What-ifs (Batman as a confederate army officer/a 30s Pulp character/a vampire bat)...or Batman done as Manga/Pop Art/Indian Comic/retro sat. morning kartoon/etc so that Warner Bros. can penetrate some new market/demographic....Batman has become a brand, rather than an icon....though it says something for the character that he's robust enuff to be bent into so many shapes.

I'm struggling (personally) to think of a really good Batman comic, story arc or (ptui!) graphic novel that's been much published in the last 15 years (or longer)...tho' I 'spect you could name loads. It's just taste, innit.

But, personally, I really do think that Grim n Gritty went past its sell-by date about two yrs after "Dark Knight Returns", but they've been flogging this dead trope for the last 20+ yrs to a dwingling market of rapidly aging 30-, then 40-something fan-boys...but no one knows what to do w/ the character: can't go back to 'camp' (tho' Joel Schumacher tried his darnest to gay up the franchise...), 'cause kids are more, er, 'sophisticated' these days...except they aren't...

Plenty of reasons why I reckon Detective Comics #311 is more interesting and 'important' than most recently-published Bat-mags, but don't have the time to go into it this second...will def. return to this topic in a coupla days w/ a post to hopefully illustrate my points. Heh.

BTW: Don't much like Spider-Man either.

 
At 9:37 pm, Blogger doppelganger said...

agreed... can't stand the bugger

I ain't so precious about Bats that I won't happily acknowledge that 80-90% of the published material in the last twenty years has been pretty poor fare...

But I'd stick my neck out regarding Kelley Jones' run, and Paul Pope's current mini-series and the animated adventures.

Hell, I even enjoyed it when Jason Todd came back

(Such a shame that the mini that bloke sent you was pretty much all Azbats - I'd luv to see the standard outfit / cave / batmobile as rendered by Kev O'Neill!)

Lookin' forward to further posts ...

 
At 11:25 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Ah, bollocks...just spent 10 minutes typing a really 'interesting' reply to yr last comment, but Blogger just went and lost it for me. Knickers!

Hate it when that happens...

I'll get back to you on this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home