KID SHIRT

Friday, March 03, 2006

SUNBURNT



Woke up this morning in what can only be described as a Bohemian flop-house. (Half-expected Johnny Storm to turn up and shave my beard off w/ a burning finger…”M-my God, it…it’s Namor, the Sub-mariner…!”) My room was smaller than a Japanese capsule…my eldest daughter’s got a bigger wardrobe…Jesus, but I’ve worn shoes bigger than this room….There were weird grease-marks on the carpet and what looked like cum-stains on the curtains (not mine, I hasten to add!). There was no loo or shower, and the tiny, cracked sink had two taps that you had to turn up to +11 just to get a fisherman’s dribble…..It was the most uncomfortable bed I’ve ever slept on in my life; I’ve passed out on softer concrete…

Still, I’m not giving out any details about whereabouts in Bristol this was (no, wasn't Psychbloke's house)…not because I fear legal action from the hotelier (who looked like he wouldn’t have been fazed if I’d asked him where I could score some crack…), but because I don’t want to accidentally make the place trendy! Wouldn’t want this to become the new Hoxton or whatever and house-prices to go thru the roof. It was great and I’m def. staying there next time I hit the big B, even tho' it was a bit like waking up to find out I was in the cast of "Hostel"…

Sunburned Hand of The Man were, well, just totally awesome in their various incarnations last nite…four hours of weird side-projects and films and stand-up comedy meta-narrative (Rob Thomas in his alter-ego as The Drifter)…queasy, sea-sick dronesquall work-outs from The Bridge of Trust…hilarious Musique Concrete performed by chimps (aka The Clear People)…fucked up dissonant gamelin shit & damaged Blues played by what sounded like Vietnam vets suffering from Combat Shock (“Lick the Falcon…!” by The Ozone layer (Marc Orleans & friends))…and the nightmarish theatre-piece known as "The Man Cry"...

Thanks to John Maloney for the new double 7” and for letting me hang around afterwards like the world’s oldest & saddest & drunkest fan-boy stalker…it really was a great night…the showing of Ira Cohen's Invasion of Thunderbolt Pagoda” totally fucking floored me….is it the druggiest movie evah!? Cool alt.soundtrack by Sunburned (original by the late great Angus MacLise): watch out for this on DVD in April, apparently. I’ll be queuing up for that one, I’m tellin’ ya.

Rob Thomas, who is half-Welsh, (the clue's in tha name) claims that the word 'Man' in 'Sunburned Hand of the...' comes from Welsh rockers Man (a favourite of mine) who he dug as a youngster ("The later stuff's a bit proggy, though..."). He's pretty keen to play Wales next time they're over...the band's due back in August for The Green Man Festival, so expect a handful of dates round about then...

Love to stay and jaw w/ ya, but I'm on some insane deadlines right now, so gotta get my shit off tha shelf pretty pronto. More stuff about Sunburned when I gotta moment...if you ain't ever checked 'em out (and I can't believe anyone who's ever read this blog ain't), then I suggest you do so soon as poss. I'll try'n keep up some level of bloggage over the coming days...

2 Comments:

At 10:37 pm, Blogger Cloudboy said...

look forward to the August visit from these boys n girls

 
At 11:11 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Yeah, sorry you couldn't make thurs...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home