KID SHIRT

Saturday, November 26, 2005

PLAZ

First up, mega-thanks to Psychbloke for meeting up w/ me last nite and being excellent company, as ever...much shite was spoken and debated 'pon in the pub...apologies for making you miss Jerry Dammers...

Great to see Nick, another top geezer. And nice to meet Jamie Vex'd, Appleblim and Tom from Rooted (Bristol's finest record-shop).

Lethal B cancelled, but Plasticman fucking smashed it, I thought. Beautifully brutal...a headfuck of a set. Beats flying all over the place. Bloody worked for me.

Pinch played an excellent Dubstep selection...insectoidal drones swarmed over limping, broken-legged beats and a push-me/pull-you sub-bass undertow. Off-balance, out-of kilter riddims, un-syncopated skanks. Music to skulk to. Did I imagine it or did Vex'd say that Pinch played a dub of one of his new tunes? There were some wicked tracks flying around. I only recognised a couple of the obvious ones.

Unfortunately, the club was pretty empty at this point. "This aint gonna kick off. I'm going home," said Psychbloke, downing his bat-beer and donning his utility-belt, before disappearing into the shadows to hunt down Harvey Dent aka Two Face. 15 minutes later, the place starts filling up, first with wimmin, and then it kicks off.

Nick'll correct me...was it Blazey on next, Nick? Things got Grime-ier and the Bashment started to flow...a bunch of teenage girls in customised Top Shop clobber start dancing, then the blokes begin wandering onto the dancefloor too...Sped-up Reggaeton and Rap, distorted bass-Sqoooinkctch...one second: snappy, double-speed military snares, the next: sludgey, distorted 909's and bass-smears...space-craft noises, abrrasive scratchy-sounding saw-tooth bass, pitched-up strings, rewinds and fast-forwards...lyrics spat by an MC so fast at one point that I thought some of his teeth would come out w/ the words. Nice'n raw. Warmed me up beautifully for Plas' set...



Well, I fucking enjoyed it. Check out Plastic's set on the Rinsesessions Vol. 1 box for a flava of what you missed. There were a lot of grinning faces on the dancefloor by the end of it...I think we could've managed another hour, no problem, but the house-lights came up. "Naaaaah...."

Someone seemed to be filming the evening's events...what was that all about? Wouldn't mind a copy of that...if anyone's got some info, then please lemme know....

Cheers to Nick for giving me a lift down the road, despite me being dribbling drunk by this point. We debated going onto the Slaughter Mob/Hotflush do down at Blue Mountain wh/ was on 'til 4am, but Nick sensibly headed home. I wandered off in search of food and ended up talking to the guys behind the counter in the kebab-house:

"So, where you all from?"

"Kurdistan. Northern Iraq."

"Shit. Really..? Whas the music like in Kurdistan?" etc, etc...I even drilled them on their working hours, etc. Really nice guys who patiently answered my slurred, intrusive questions, but when I wobbled off down the road trying to eat a brown sauce-soaked vege-burger, and mentally replayed our conversation I realised I was probably in no fit state to spend another hour in the company of adults, espcially those trying to make music. So I dream-drifted through badly-lit back-alleys and side-streets, in search of a twilight, limbo-lit Bristol that you only ever see when you're really, really pissed. The City of Tiny Lites...

It always works: woke up this morning with an almost fully-formed idea for a short-story in my head, while a woman outside, round the back of the B&B, shouted out "Paul...!? Paaaaul...!? Pa-auuul...!?" in a sad, quiet, lilting, almost disturbing kind of way about 25-30 times, before their voice slowly and finally faded, leaving me feeling as if I'd accidentally overlapped w/ someone else's dream...

4 Comments:

At 9:37 pm, Blogger GTTRBRKZ said...

Ah, glad to see you made it back in one piece, mate. I was slightly concerned for your safety as you staggered off down towards Gloucester Rd. Lovely image of Kek wandering alone through the streets of Bristol in the dead of night...like Robert Rental on the sleeve of 'On Location' single.
The DJ's name was indeed Blazey. He has his own blog here:
http://djblazey.blogspot.com/

btw, some always seems to be filming these things, but I've yet to come across any footage.

 
At 11:30 pm, Blogger Psychbloke said...

"Paul...!? Paaaaul...!? Pa-auuul...!?"

Clearly calling on the patron saint of Stokes Croft......

 
At 9:59 am, Blogger kek-w said...

Ah, yeah, that would be St. Pauls...duh!...kinda fits in w/ the biblical theme I had going on when I woke up....got an idea for a story called "Old Skool Testament"...I was copying out some pieces from my hotel room Bible to use as quotes...still, that voice was quite spooky...

 
At 10:01 am, Blogger kek-w said...

Oh, and don't worry about me, Nick....I'm an old pro at drunken Surrealist prowling...it's where I get all my ideas for stories from...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home