KID SHIRT

Thursday, February 17, 2005

MISC

The new Girls Aloud single is out next monday: the appropriately-titled "Wake me Up". If you've not got the last LP (fool), then grab this; it's a corker: a pumping slice of Alt.Pop Action with a seriously dark edge to it. Like "Love Machine" (wh/ = "Cyber Insekt") it's got a vague Fall-ish vibe about it, but darned if I can put my finger on which track it reminds me of. "Antidote", maybe? Nah. Still, those lovely people at Acorn Records are hopefully sorting me out a 7" vinyl...

Girls Aloud on Vinyl: Hurrah!

Good day out, today: picked up some lovely vinyl nuggets which I've just started wading through: The first Hawkwind LP (which I foolishly sold many years ago as an impoverished youngster...in fact, I'm currently working my way through the fabbo Hawkwind biography that John Effay recommended late last year and which Chris so kindly bought me for Xmas...); the first Henry Cow LP (tho' sadly no Lindsay Cooper on board for this album); the first (and only) LP by St. John Green (Truly Demented Kim Fowley-produced L.A. HardPsych Mayhem from the Topanga Canyon scene); and also finally scored a decent vinyl copy of "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" by The Incredible String Band (who, surely, are currently the most influencial band on the planet, ne c'est pas?).

My God: the nerve of the man, eh, slagging Fairport Convention while bigging-up unlistenable Hippy-Folk bilge like ISB...

Would love to stay and shoot the breeze, maaaan, but I have to curtail my posting t'night...

There's a Van Damme film starting at 9:00.

8 Comments:

At 11:33 pm, Blogger Loki said...

ISB...ah... The Minotaur's Song... genius: part Current 93, two parts Monty Python's Lumberjack Song, one part psych-frazzle...

The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter is a wonderful album: I can almost feel a blog coming on.

Two things: 1)after 8 songs his voice does get a little on my tits (therefore I hardly know the last 2 - I'm speaking CD here) and 2)she's not beautiful she looks like a stoat.

Still, I love these guys: now the only 'rock' poster left on the walls of chez Loki is a psychedelic ISB gig advert...

I think we're due a full Kek rereview...

 
At 11:14 am, Blogger farmer glitch said...

ah - that first Hawkwind LP - brings back freaked-out memories of 1977 or so - sitting upstairs at Jim and Andy Musgraves house in Yeovil - experimenting with our fisrt mushy-trips - completly losing our minds to that LP - and the cover - man-o-man - sort of remember sitting there for hours convinced that sleeve was out to get me - and ya know what - IT WAS - and goddam it - HERE IT COMES NOW - AAAAHHH !!!

 
At 11:42 am, Blogger kek-w said...

I was looking at that 1st Hawkwind LP cover last night and thinking how evil it looked (in a sort of pastoral way)...it is v. freaky...I'm incredibly ashamed that I sold my copy 25 years ago...what was I fucking thinking of?

Revisiting it: it sounds better and fresher than ever. "Hurry On Sundown" sounds slightly out of place...bit of a throwback to Dave Brock's busking days. And that Hawkwind that I'm reading is currently covering the Notting Hill/Ladbrook Grove scene of '70/71 wh/ makes for fascinating reading. Any other good books out there that cover that Mick Farren/Deviants/Pink Fairies/Oz/IT/White Panthers Era...? Confess I'm fascinated by it...we never had Altamont in the UK...we had the Isle of Wight Festival...and that 1970-ish era was the end of the Hippie Dream and the (slow) beginning of the anarchic stirrings that would lead to Punk.

Anyone recommend any good books...?

 
At 7:33 pm, Blogger johneffay said...

Any other good books out there that cover that Mick Farren/Deviants/Pink Fairies/Oz/IT/White Panthers Era...?Well there's Farren's autobiography Give the Anarchist a Cigarette, which is worth checking out.

I'm currently reading his DNA Cowboys Trilogy which was supposedly written at all in one go in a darkened room with the monotony only broken by the occasional interruption of Lemmy turning up with more speed. It's not great literature, but it would go well with your new copy of the first Hawkwind album.

The early Incredible String Band stuff is absolutely great: There's many an evening when we erect the maypole in the the garden and dance around it to 'The Hedgehog's Song'.

 
At 1:11 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Hahaha....brilliant. Thanks, John, that sounds great...exactly what I was looking for.

I forgot that Farren was an SF writer...faintly remember seeing one of the DNA Cowboys books a long, long time ago. Weren't there some Hawklords books out in the Seventies too....written by Peter/Michael Butterworth (suffering a severe hangover today...no short-term memory....)

Uh...What was I saying?

 
At 3:29 pm, Blogger johneffay said...

Weren't there some Hawklords books out in the Seventies too....written by Peter/Michael ButterworthErmm, yeah. Unless you're of the opinion that Warrior on the Edge of Time is a piece of high seriousness whose carefully considered subject matter eminently justifies the inclusion of the psychologically astute poetry therein, you're really going to hate these books.

 
At 6:12 pm, Blogger johneffay said...

I've just scanned one of the book covers over at my place, along with a link to something even more ridiculous!

Why is it that no matter how many linebreaks I put between quotaions and my comments, and no matter how pretty they look in the preview, they end up squashed together?

 
At 8:47 am, Anonymous Funtopia Rich said...

Going back to a Blog from February 17th regarding books on the Ladbroke Grove scene. I'm currently writing a book primarily concerned with the Deviants and Pink Fairies, and solo stuff etc. beyond, with the co-operation and assistance of many of those involved. Hopefully it will be published sometime next year.

So, if anyone's got any Deviants / Fairies anecdotes, or even photographs that they'd care to send scans of I'll gratefully accept them with a view to inclusion. Any used will obviously be acknowledged. Please e-mail arsydeedee@yahoo.co.uk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home