KID SHIRT

Sunday, February 20, 2005

KANG THE CONQUEROR'S BIRTHDAY

Well, I had a great time on friday...

Thanks to Kid Kid Shirt for letting me take her to see "The Magic Roundabout" and for picking an Asda Spider-Man cake. And to my wife Chris for, well, being uber-cool all the year round, not just my b/day.

Thanks to everyone who came out to play in the evening, particularly Dom Zero who, unbeknown to me, caught the train down from London and was sat waiting in my local with a pint, a half-smoked ciggie and a conspiratorial smirk on his face. Nice one, man. Cheers for the Adam Strange action figure and a 1970's Clark Ashton Smith anthology. You've got me fucking sussed, mate...

And cheers to Spike and Ray for the bottle o'gin (Jeez, anyone would think I actually like the stuff!). And to Flinty for the "Foxy Brown" DVD (I loooove Pan Grier: if you haven't already, then check out "Black Mama, White Mama" for some serious Fillipino '70's Wimmin-in-Prison baaad motherfuckah 'sploitation action) and a new Quasimoto twelve that finds Madlib touchin' the thinly-stretched edges of (a) Alt.Hop and (b) reality itself. Flinty excelled himself by wrapping the DVD in a Girls Aloud promo poster. "I hear you're a bit keen on them," he deadpanned.

And I'm still trembling w/ excitement at the contents of the package that arrived from Circle Brophy's secret volcano HQ somewhere in Java. Highlights include Indonesian versions of Lenzi's "Cannibal Ferox" and Joe D'Amato's "Emmanuelle and the Last Cannibals", "Aswang" (Wonder if the guys at Mondo Macabro are aware there's a version readily available in the Far East that has what looks like a photocopied cover...?) and an asian horror anthology thing wh/ I'd not heard of called "Three...Extremes" that features stuff by Takashi Miike and Park Chan-wuk. Oh, and some v. groovy-looking Maskman and Masked Rider VCDs that I'm gonna enjoy watching with the kids! Ah, the wonders of the Orient! I'll post some pictures soon as my scanner is back on-line...Cheers, Circle, and thanks for the b/day email that began so charmingly with the words "Oi, Cunt..."

I had a fucking great evening... so thanks to Superstar Artist Andy Clarke (check his magnificent cover for last week's 2000AD...Yeovil Comics Posse takin' over!) and Shaggy and everyone else who came (incl. a classic, breathless and totally unexpected "This is Your Life" style arrival by Bren-W...), and to Big Dave for some superb after-pub hospitality which involved Hawkwind and some extremely alcoholic milkshakes. And somehow Dom and I almost got involved in a Kebab House lock-in with a bunch of rural teenage dorks...so if the BBC News looked wobblier than usual on Sat. afternoon/evening then it's my fault for leading Dom astray. I mean, he hardly drinks normally.

Yesterday morning, we re(assembled) in our kitchen for what looked like rehersals for Romero's 4th Zombie flick ("Breakfast of the Living Dead") as we shuffled slowly from toaster to kettle to table and back again, deathly-white and moaning. For a few hours, eating human flesh actually seemed a plausible life-style option...

And then there was the mysterious CD marked 'SAW Disk 2' that Farmer Glitch dropped off while we were out stalking possible victims in Ninesprings under the guise of 'going for a walk', and the answaphone message (which I've only just discovered) he left inviting me to a puppet-show in Gallhampton. The mind boggles...

But I'm gonna stop now before this turns into an Oscar Acceptance Speech.

Soooo...how old am I really?

Well, even I'm not entirely sure, as I'm part of a convoluted bit of Marvel Comics Continuality that involves Kang the Conqueror, Rama-Tutt, Doctor Doom and Immortus. I don't know at which point in my life I get "jaded and dissatisfied with life in this era and discover plans for a time machine..." Hmmm. Sounds like pretty much the whole of the Eighties to me.

But the bit that really worries me about all that time-travelling tyrant guff is having to grow a beard...an activity that would probably take me the best part of a decade to achieve. Kang the Conqueror with a false beard? You read it here first...

Adios, Earthlings.

4 Comments:

At 11:45 pm, Blogger GTTRBRKZ said...

You don't look a day over 56, mate!

 
At 10:26 am, Blogger farmer glitch said...

wot - you never received SAW disk 1 - damn man - O-Glitch (postman pat to you and me) - he be sacked !!!

 
At 4:55 pm, Blogger Dominic Zero said...

I'll never be sure - but I think that milkshake Alki-Pop might have saved my life.

 
At 7:51 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

Errr... SAW Disk 1 is present and correct (it was hiding under SAW Disk 2)...I was just too hung-over to notice!

Postman O is blameless! Free the Post Office One! Free Roky Erickson! etc, etc. (Many thanks, man...just trying to figure out now what app I need to load to play it...Mediaplayer, maybe?)

"You don't look a day over 56, mate!".... well, I do now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home