KID SHIRT

Monday, December 13, 2004

SECOND CITY BLUES


The bumper-sized Xmas issue of 2000AD arrived today (Nominally entitled Prog 2005), containing the first episode of "Second City Blues". A quick check of the credits revealed that it was drawn by Art-God Warren Pleece, and scripted by, er, me. Wrote the darnn thing a good year or so ago, so I'd almost forgotten I'd done it until it turned up. It's a future Sports story in the tradition of Harlem Heroes, Slaughterbowl, etc...and Warren, being the talented geezer that he is, has made my words a lot more interesting and human-shaped than they originally started out.

One point of interest: the phrase "Don't suppose you fancy a shag...?" has been replaced with a "Don't suppose you fancy hooking up later...?", though, strangely, the word "shit" seems to have been edited in. So it looks like "shags" are out and "shits" are in. (Sorry, but I'm horribly fascinated by this sort of stuff...) During the course of the series I was hoping to turn the phrase "You knobhead, Minger" into a sort of alt.catchphrase/running-joke, so it'll be interesting (to me, at least) to see if it survives the censor's knife. But, anyway, Matt Smith, the latest incarnation of The Mighty Tharg, is an all-round top bloke and a joy to work with, so def. no complaints from me on that score...

At some point, I'd like to post some of Warren's beautiful design-sketches once I've confirmed that he's cool with that. Hope you'll be joining me for the misadventures of Minger and the rest of the Second City Blues over the next 13 weeks or so...

6 Comments:

At 9:48 pm, Blogger Psychbloke said...

Goddam....weaned myself off ten years ago, but how can we have the kid kid shirts going hungry over Christmas??

 
At 9:10 am, Blogger GTTRBRKZ said...

Yep, reckon it must be a decade since I bought it too. Time to hook back into the program, methinks. So you can say 'shit' in 2000A.D. now? How mature...

 
At 3:40 pm, Blogger John Eden said...

Those future sports were always my favourites :-) Last copy for me must have been 1990-ish?

 
At 8:03 pm, Blogger Psychbloke said...

Actually, Nick's got a point....what happened to 'Drokk!' - the official mega-city justices dept. expletive?

 
At 11:13 pm, Blogger kek-w said...

And in Sinister-Dexter (written by Dan Abnett) the characters say: "Funt!" (or "Funtface" or "funtwipe"...)

In Second City, I've got Welsh and Punjabi characters, so they swear in, uh, Welsh and Punjabi... it seemed an interesting way around the whole swearing-in-comics issue. The idea was that in an increasingly culturally homogenised society, outsider types would start using marginalised languages such as Welsh as a way of expressing individuality, etc. (As an aside: a year or two ago, I seriously considered learning Esperanto...I liked the idea of it as a romantic retro-archaic 'invented' language; it was also a reaction against people (Trekkies) who 'learnt' Klingon. Then I remembered I didn't know anyone that spoke Esperanto. (And, now, writing this, I've suddenly realised that I was stupid to have let such a small thing as that stop me...)).

 
At 10:33 pm, Blogger Loki said...

you should be careful...any language with 'rant' in the middle of it is not to be trifled with...you could turn into one of my weekend posts...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home