KID SHIRT

Friday, June 18, 2004

ELECTROGLITTERSTOMPF

How fucking great is Rachel Steven's new single? Electro-crumpft with a Bolan-esque swagger and a Glitter Band stomp. Sure, the vocals are shit but what the hey. Hmm: electroglam crossover: It's got me thinking... where did I put that gatefold double-7" of The Human League's 1980 deconstruction of GG's "Rock and Roll"? (Are we even allowed to play the original now?) Or "Follow the leader" by Add N to(X)... two years ago, that was so on the Zeitgeist.
But fuck it, why do I hate Goldfrapp so much, though? They're sooo...arghhhh....that hat their fucking bass-player wears...it's so, oh I dunno, wacky new-wave 1981 LA session keyboard player. And that bloody transparent guitar of his. And the quite frankly dire (and humourless) cover of "Yes, Sir, I can Boogie". Christ, I'd rather fucking listen to Visage. I am also profoundly irritated by the lack of analogue keyboards in their act...they seem to mainly use naff Late Nineties Korgs and suchlike with Vintage Sound Presets. Bloody frauds, knobheads and sissies: too scared to play a Moog live in case it detunes itself halfway through their set. Did I completely imagine it, or didn't they used to be Indie Bedwetters a few years ago? Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part. Or maybe they really did suddenly wake up one morning 3 years ago and spot that Electroclash was getting a few column inches in the NME...so they retro-styled themselves with a bit of limp fetishwear from Ann Summers and relaunched themselves with some gigs on the Student Union circuit. Whatever happened, it certainly did the trick: they're on our bloody telly more often than flies on a cow-pat. Chris has (rightly) pointed out that Goldfrump stands and dances exactly like Debbie Harry circa '79...has she been studying old Blondie videos and copping her moves? (Goldfrapp, I mean, not my wife. Chris has been doing it for years and I don't have a problem with that.) Undoubtably she has, but I digress.

Back to Rachel's single: "Some Girls" is produced by Richard-X. No surprises there. But this is possibly my favourite faux-80's(-by-way-of-the-70's) slice of electronic pop since, well, Dannii's "It makes me wonder". Did you know you can get Dannii ring-tones? There's a website. Shit, and I don't even have a phone.
Sorry, bear with me, but I'm having a Dannii moment...

When I'm walking down the street I call your name
Inside my head I go insane
Don't you know that it's really making me crazy

There were days when I went completely blind
No time to think and I lost time
Won't believe what's happened to me lately

'Cause every day is the same day
Different faces with no name
Places I've never been before

And every day is the same thing
Different faces with no name
Places I've never been before

And I begin to wonder
Don't you know that it's really making me crazy
And I begin to wonder
Won't believe what's happened to me lately

'Cause every day is the same day
Different faces with no name
Places I've never been before

1 Comments:

At 9:48 am, Blogger Pete Um said...

I've got a track called Foolsfrapp, if that helps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home